Ok this is just too weird for me...

I get that different cultures have different customs, and I think that's great, but really? People still arrange kids marriages when they are 5 and 3? These two kids will be married (supposedly) when they are 15 and 13. What do you think of this? Do you think we have different views just because it's not something we are really exposed to? Link to the article is posted below.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I think it's a little crazy, but arranged marriages do have a higher success rate. Though I do not think that the success rate is a direct correlation to satisfaction of the individual, but more to the acceptability of divorce. I wonder how many of these people end up in loveless marriages? I wonder how many people grow to truly love their spouse? I'm sure that both are possible. We love our parents, and we didn't choose them, correct?

I think I'm just rambling now...
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• IMO, we as parents can not push our children to get married especially in young age but in several culture I aware this is still happening, so I think it is depend on each culture but we can help them by giving explanation the disadvantage of kids marriage
    twimother

Answer by twimother at 3:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it is sick. The women of these cultures are actually enslaved
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Customs like this one arise from a view of the human being (especially the woman !) as being a cog in the societal wheel rather than as an individual.

Similarly, a child used to be expected to follow a certain trade or occupation chosen for him / her by the parents.

Assigning stereotyped roles for the members of society holds out the promise of a well-ordered community. Sometimes, some places it may work out fine. But any time it must be enforced with coercion, the society will become toxic. What does that mean? It means that the toxic pressures will engender distortions in the people's personalities and abusive customs which become accepted in the community.

Since human beings are IN FACT individuals, and do IN FACT have free will, oppression cannot help but be destructive. Just like a plant MUST get harmed by insufficient light.

It's called natural law - our Constitution is based upon it.

It is natural law
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The father was quoted as saying that neither child will be forced to marry, they will be ALLOWED to marry at 13 and 15, which is the custom of the country.....if either changes their mind, nobody will force them.....so it isn't as bad as I at first thought......what I found so cute was how these 2 little ones have a huge crush on each other and the betrothal was the little boys idea....the world is changing....but the world changes very slowly, and different parts change faster than others....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I do not agree with pre-arranged marriages. I think it takes away from the ones involved. I think that everyone should have their own say in who they love and want to spend the rest of their lives with.
    ahataway

Answer by ahataway at 9:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My coworker and his wife are from India. They are in their 50's. Theirs is an arranged marriage that their parents set up when they were children although they didn't marry until their 20's. They love each other as much as any other couple their age I've ever met. They are very affectionate with each other and he's very proud of his wife and how she's adapted to a new culture and language. I don't think that picking your own spouse is any guarentee on lasting happiness in a marriage.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• While I don't agree to arranged marriages, I do however view the facts and that is that many arranged marriages have lasted longer than love marriages. There are advantages to arranged marriages and disadvantages. At the time of the world now, arranged marriages may be better than the opposite. You know whether they have a disease because they are not out playing around. Therefore diseases are not a worry and you get to know that person before and after marriage. I don't think it should be at the young age of 5 it should be a little older unless the option to change THEIR minds is in the equation.
    breezy1955

Answer by breezy1955 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It comes from the idea that the success of the individual is not as important as the success of the family, and the success of the family is not as important as the success of the society. Marrying for love is actually a relatively recent phenomena. We tend to make the mistake of equating arranged marriage with forced marriage. It's nice that the article above pointed out that this is not a 'forced' marriage. It's generally thought that matchmaking 'experts', wiser family members, or a local cleric will be better able to determine which young adults will make a good relationship based on upbringing, culture, interests, and financial background. Adults in these cultures view teens and young adults as less able to make sound decisions (and by the number of first marriages that end in divorce, they probably aren't totally wrong) and marriage is a much more important decision than we make it out to be here.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 3:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010