I know I can't control what other people say and do, but........ adult content

What's the best way to deal with people in my apartment complex who have never met me, yet are talking to their kids or in front of their kids saying sh!t about me that they have no clue about because they don't take the time to even try to meet me. I have been informed by my kids that the kids of these people are saying nasty UNTRUE things about me!! These are lies being fed to them by a woman on dope for the past 16 yrs of her life!
I just want to be left alone!
How do you put an end to all this crap when you CAN'T move, and you're pretty sure YOU would get locked up if you stood outside with a huge sign saying "COME TALK TO ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT ME"!?
I am sooooooo sick of this! The landlord and police are no help. We feel like prisoners in our own home.

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 4:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Ignore gf. I know it is tough for the kids but it will calm down if they just ignore them. I grew up in a very tough area back in the day and it was not easy. But since I never answered back I never got involved with drugs and always was the confidant of many rough personalities. I would just keep it quiet even tough I wanted to beat up a lot of the wrong crowd around me. But that was the only way to survive and I did.In the end they were like you're one of us even though I was a white girl with a very goodie goodie household, they respected me because I respected them and just made believe I would not hear the bs remarks from ignoreant jealous wannabees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well, if you don't live in a bad area, or complex, maybe you can go up to these particular people and confront them about it. (I mean, if you feel you're going to get shot or something for being nice, by all means, don't do it.) Bring them a Thanksgiving basket or a Christmas basket when the time comes as a "gift" and then have a little small talk with them. Let them know you're a nice woman and maybe their opinion will change about you.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with AtHomeMommy. Try inviting them over for dinner. Get to know them. They will see who you *really* are. It's really hard to talk bad about someone who is nothing but nice to you!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 5:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Hung out with a tough crowd maybe? I hope you don't offended but I would just go with the flow and keep a low profile. It is better than being in the streets. Get along and they will treat you right. Just stay out of their way gf. Find one good friend and tell the family to stay out of their way. Not back talk to them. I was raised in NY and I feel for you Babylove.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have always kept a low profile here. I literally told myself when I moved in here "I am not here to make friends". I grew up 12 miles from here and I knew this was a real ghetto area but it's the only place I could get into and I was and still am thankful to have a home following a couple months of being homeless and living with an abusive boyfriend prior to that.

I just wish they'd all stop wagging their tongues! My kids are the ones being told all this stuff by other kids on the playground and I feel so bad for them! What do I tell my kids to do when these say things like "do you still have lice and dog poop in your house? My mom says it's EVERYWHERE"! They feel hurt and embarrassed.

Seriously makes me want to knock some people's teeth out!!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 5:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2010