6th grade education

I missed a lot of school growing up because my mom was unfit and she didn't make sure that I or a few of my siblings got a good education. I missed a substantial amount of school from the ages of 11-16 and as a result of that I'm lacking in several things for my age. I never had the chance to learn how to drive, learn life skills, financial literacy, and a lot of other things I should've learned. I've been to college 3 times, and although I tried my best, it wasn't good enough for me to stay in college because I was failing my classes.

I've had people criticize me, as if they know the true story of my childhood, and as if I haven't tried to better myself, because I have. I have a beautiful little girl that I love and want to provide a good life for, but it's hard to get ahead in life with a 6th grade education. How can I make up for lost time? Do I have to go back and do all the work that I missed to catch up? I'm lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in

• I would go to a community college, and start with the GED classes; you will learn much of what you missed.

Reading is so important! Get a library card. Suze Orman writes about financial literacy.

Find a mentor; someone to coach you through life skills, and provide you with the mothering that you missed out on.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The first poster says it all. Good luck to you and your academic journey.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010