Are you open and honest with your teen and they with you?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on what's being asked. If they're going to ask about my current sex life - HECK NO! None of their business.
    But if they ask me about other stuff (general sex, dating, etc), I'm gonna be honest with them. I would rather they heard it from me than any of their friends.

Right now, we're dealing with lying about little things. Trying to put a stop to it so that we can trust her when she gets a little older.
    Mom2ChelNJustin

Answer by Mom2ChelNJustin at 7:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• There are somethings about your life that a teenager does not need to know.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm pretty honest with them.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I am very open and honest with my teens, because I think it helps them trust me enough to be honest with me. This is a big thing in our house. Don't even think about lying to me, I always find out. Now after saying that I will add this, my girls know a lot about my past and what I did in high school and college, but not everything. Once in awhile something will come up and I will not answer them. They don't need to know everything! But knowing enough lets them know that I was a teenager and have a clue about what they are going through.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I am open and honest with them, and they with me. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't private parts of my life. I will answer the parts of the questions that are not an invasion of privacy, and I will be open with them about choosing to NOT answer a question, because it's none of their business. (For example, when talking about sex, they know my dh and I were not virgins when we met, and how old we were when it happened, and they know our feelings on this. They don't need to know the names of the people involved...)

They know that my dh and I love each other, and we don't hide it, and that part of a loving, adult, married relationship includes sex. They don't need to know what we like to do, or how often we do it, or when, or etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, we don't tell her everything, but we tried to lead by example. I think she is open for the most part with us.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2010