My 7 month old prefers eating to bottle

She turns her head away from the bottle or slaps it away. If she drinks her bottle, she only has about half of her feed. She will, however eat. She loves it. Anyone else experience it? Will she get enough nutrients from the rice cereal (morning) and cooked veggies (afternoon & evening)? Could the teething have anything to do with it? Should i be worried?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 6:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's not going to get what she needs from solids. Here is what I would do if I were in this situation. Stop, or slow down the solids. ALWAYS bottle before solids. NOT ONE BITE until she has finished, or had a satisfactory amount of her bottle. Babies NEED the nutrients in breast milk or formula, and the calories. Breast milk and formula contain more calories per ounce then solids do. Before 12 months, the breast milk or formula is MUCH more important then solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Have you thought about introducing a cup? She may be a little young, but it might just be worth giving a try.
    Mom2ChelNJustin

Answer by Mom2ChelNJustin at 7:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Anyone else experience it? yes
    Will she get enough nutrients from the rice cereal (morning) and cooked veggies (afternoon & evening)? No
    Could the teething have anything to do with it? Oh yes and maybe sick w/ sore throat
    Should i be worried? After 2 days maybe
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Formula or BM is the most important until shes 1. If she wont drink her bottle, dont offer any foods until she does. She will not get the proper nutrition from foods right now. Bottle first, then foods. I had the same fight with my son.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Keep pushing that bottle, or put it in a sippy cup to see if she prefers that. The nutrients in the formula or breast milk are what she really needs- the cereal doesn't have many nutrients at all and the fruits/veggies are good for vitamins but they don't have the fat, protein and calcium that she really needs. If she is going to get more out of the solids then try introducing things that meet some of those caloric needs- pureed meats, avocado, etc. Always give the bottle first as well. With my DD we would do bottle as soon as she woke up, then some "breakfast" with solids a little later, so they weren't back to back but spaced out a little.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• try putting the formula in the sippy cup if she prefers that over bottle...but she really does need the vitamins and nutrient from the formula until a year at least.....
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• She's at that age where she's going to start wanting more pureed or solid foods. It's important to let her have what she wants as far as what fills her up. And right now she prefers solids/pureed foods over the bottle. Just make sure she gets a bottle with every meal. It will be half of what she normally gets. This will add to her nutrients and continue to help her grow. This is what I did with both of my kids and will do with the third if he prefers it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010