otc deworming meds

has anyone ever used over the counter de-worming medicine for a cat? my cat has a mild case and i really cant afford to take him to the vet. we got lowcost vet care for him to be neutered and shots but they dont do deworming stuff. i know they sell it at walmart for pretty cheap but i dont want to waste my money on something that wont work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pets

• I am a vet tech, and I have asked vets about otc meds such as that, I know hartz is a big name in Walmart for otc pet stuff, but usually they are a waste of money. I havent specifically asked about the dewormers, but maybe like momabear said you can find a vet that will dose out the med with an accurate weight. The weight is very important. You will need to get a baby scale, even my late 13# cat would not be weighed in correctly by trying to place him on the bathroom scale or holding him and weiging myself and then weighing myself and deducting his weight, it is to much of a risk that is is wrong, esp the smaller the cat is. Maybe the vet will just have it as tech appt or wont charge you to weigh him/her. You def want to get rid of the worms asap. If her belly is distended it is prob worse than you think. I presume it is tape worms, rice looking moving (or maybe dead) things in her stool, let me know.
    45caliber

Answer by 45caliber at 12:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You need to call around and find a vet my vet will give out worm medicine without seeing the animal as long as you know his weight, and to be honest its cheap and it worms for every kind of worm. Other vets that say they have to see your pet are just out for money.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you want to do de-worming at home, do NOT buy the stuff at the store. Dr Foster and Smith has good quality products for that and so do you local farm stores. Hartz is extremely bad for animals.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/cat-supplies/cat-wormers-non-prescription/ps/c/3261/20833
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010