Confusion

Why is it that I have had three kids in the past three years and I am now pregnant with my fourth, but the nurses and doctors still feel the need to tell me how labor works and when I should be going to the hospital? I just don't understand that, obviously by now I know what I am doing LOL. What really bothers me is that they tell me not to go to the hospital until I have contractions consistently three to five minutes apart. When I tell them that my contractions do not come at regular intervals they try to tell me that I am not in labor. I have to go by the feeling of labor bc active labor and braxton hicks have two different feelings for me. Why do nurses and doctors feel the need to argue with the mother, especially when the mother has had enough kids that they know how their body reacts to pregnancy and labor? Complete confusion *L*.

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 8:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am with you. My oldest was allergic to milk at birth,(so was I and my sisters) So when I was having trouble getting nursing going they would supplement. Well, then she would throw it up. THey did tests before they decided to try my option. Gee I was right. I AM THE MOMMY, I have known my child longer then you and all the fancy degrees in the world does NOT make you the expert in MY child that I carried.

Sorry Had to share. But they do it because they think they are smarter at all this then you. And for most moms they probably are, stick to your guns mama, you know you better then they.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I know what you mean. I think it is just their job, as doctors, to make sure they inform you of everything, even if you've done it a million times. When my doctor starts rambling about those things I just nod my head and say "yes sir, absolutely" lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Drs and nurses have an educational complex that just because they have gone thru much schooling, they automatically discount the fact that women have had babies for thousands and thousands of years, even though docs have only been certified since the 1500s. They think they know best.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yep i agree...they think that lil piece of paper they got makes them know your body better than you. Thats why I tend to stay away from them if possible.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 10:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• IK agree. When I had my second daughter I had to keep reminding them that I had just done this 18 months before. My favorite was when they wanted me to take a 2 hour refresher course on Gestational Diabetes. I put my foot down on that. I didn't have time to miss work for something that I already know.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010