How do I help my 4 year old make friends?

My daughter is having trouble with friends. If someone does not want to play with her she gets so upset and then when she has a friend, if someone else wants to play too, she doesnt want to share her friend. she is afraid to lose her friend. she gets so hurt when other kids arent playing with her.

MMDESHA

Asked by MMDESHA at 8:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is all part of the learning processwhen making friends. My DD is 8 & is very upset because one of her friends won't let her play with her other friend. She is now considering not being friends with her anymore, because of how much she is trying so hard to only keep my DD for herself. Explian to your DD that she might lose friends if she doesn't share friends. It's hard at 4 too, because kids are selfish at that age. They all think they're the center of the universe. As they get older, It will get easier for her as she ages. She is still learning how the dynamics of frienship works. I was worried about that when my DD was in pre-k. She didn't have many friends, she was super shy & i was scared she would not make any friends. BUT, she is in 3rd grade now. She has known these girls & is growing up with them. She has so many good friends now. Don't worry about it, she will have plenty of friends. She is still very young.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010