Billy Graham is said to have reached over 1 Billion people, yet he has stated that he feels maybe 5% of those baptised were able to keep that life.

what, in your opinion, would cause something like that? Why do you think it would be so hard, and what takes them back to their previous life? thanks in advance for your answers.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Because, when a person is first saved and baptized, they are on fire for God! However, if they don't stay within a body of Christ, to keep themselves fed, and encouraged, that fire is going to wan. And, the world is a horrible place for a Christian. The enemy (Satan) knows that when a person is saved, and gives their soul to God, he can no longer have that, so he's going to try and steal the next best thing--their testimony. And, he will use anyone and anything to do that. A new Christian HAS to stay in the Word! Has to stay around other Christians, or the world will take over, and even though the new Christian has good intentions, sadly, the world will win,if they are not on their guard. This is what I believe Brother Graham is speaking of. All we can do is pray for the new Christians,and the ones who aren't following their faith, even though they want to.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Because their underlying problems have not been fixed. Putting a 'God band-aid' on something doesn't work- it only masks the problem.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• what, in your opinion, would cause something like that?

Critical thinking.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• the world is a horrible place for a Christian. The enemy (Satan) knows that when a person is saved, and gives their soul to God, he can no longer have that, so he's going to try and steal the next best thing--their testimony. And, he will use anyone and anything to do that

------------------------------------------

Do the tines of his pitchfork also shoot flames? Something I have always wondered, but no christian has ever been able to tell me- even though they seem to be under constant personal attack.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Actually, ObbyDobbie, I'll answer as best I can. No, the enemy is far too subtle and sneaky for that. I hesitate to give him any more credit than he is due, but he has read the Bible. He knows the end. He knows that in the end he LOSES, and WE WIN! He doesn't want that. We are under constant attack. He isn't going to just come right out and attack. Sometimes he might, but usually, he's going to do what he does best. Lie. He's the father of lies, every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie. He is the enemy of God, therefore, he is the enemy of any Christian. He will tempt, lie, lure, do whatever is necessary,then mercilessly accuse and blame. He is going to do anything he can to keep us from living up to our full potential as Christians, and he will pervert and twist God's Word to mean exactly the opposite of what it does, in order to keep others from turning to God.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 12:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it is because change is very hard.....the day to day work that goes with change is very different from the emotional high you get when you first convert....that emotional high cannot last, and I think it confuses people when it naturally goes away....letting go, and allowing God to transform you can be scary.....and it isn't all rainbows and butterflies, if you know what I mean...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is one thing to reach a person and another thing to reach their heart. The heart is the seat of motivation and without changing the heart condition of a person you haven't really gained anything.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 95% of the checks made out to him bounce?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Because he hasn't "reached" anyone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand his statement...
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 11:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010