What is the difference between apple juice and apple cider?

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 9:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Fresh cider is raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. The apples are washed, cut and ground into a mash that is the consistency of applesauce. Layers of mash are wrapped in cloth, and put into wooded racks. A hydraulic press squeezes the layers, and the juice flows into refrigerated tanks.

Apple juice is juice that has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized so that it will stay fresh longer. Vacuum sealing and additional filtering extend the shelf life of the juice.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have no idea in North America but in England apple cider is alcoholic.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• From what I noticed, comparing them, apple juice doesn't have added sugar, cider does - plus the othe reasons. My mom would buy Musselman's cider and give us that instead of juice because it was cheaper - if only she'd have checked the nutrition label :(.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Apple juice is pasteurized, apple cider is not, so it must always be refrigerated, and won't last as long. The taste is also different. Cider has a bit of a fizz to it. I love that it's fall and I can get real apple cider now. Yum!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010