Do you believe that "Suidcide by cop " is actually suicide. If you are a religious person what does that mean for the hereafter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What IS "suicide by cop"? It helps to define these things if you truly want answers.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't think I've ever heard that term before, but I believe regardless we all go to the same hereafter - I don't believe suicide (or anything else) excludes us from that.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• This is an iffy subject with me. I was brought up Catholic but as an adult I now have my own ideas and I disagree with a lot of what the Catholic church teaches, which is "any suicide goes directly to Hell" or "lives in Limbo for eternity".
    I believe God is a gentle, loving, forgiving God - and if someone is in THAT MUCH PAIN to want to kill themselves, wouldn't God have compassion on that person? No one can really say what happens in the hereafter, but I don't believe that God would punish someone for being in so much pain. Only God and that person truly know their story, and whether or not he/she is worthy of entering into Heaven.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm suprised. I've heard it in the media so often I mistaking thought it was something most people would know. "Suicide by cop" is when someone on the edge of being apprehended chooses to threaten an officer therefore giving the officer no choice but to kill the suspect.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• "I'm suprised. I've heard it in the media so often I mistaking thought it was something most people would know. "Suicide by cop" is when someone on the edge of being apprehended chooses to threaten an officer therefore giving the officer no choice but to kill the suspect."

Wow, that's definately interesting. I would have never thought about that. But I had never heard that term before.

I think that if it is done intentionally then yes it is suicide... but how are you to know? The suspect cannot tell you and neither can the cop. Only they know if they intended it to be suicide. They may have just been too stupid to stop running or pressing the cop... or they may have actually thought they were going to get away with it. As for it being classified as suicide... unless you're going to ask the dead body... there is no answer to that as to the intentions of the person to determine if it was suicidal actions or stupidity
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Anytime a person does something with intent to end his/her own life is suiside PERIOD. Suiside is selfish enough but suiside by cop, that just takes the cake for worthlessness. That cop has to live with the fact that he killed someone for the rest of his life.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Kiss...It is not just a threat to an officer. A cop can only fire on someone if someone raises a gun to them or looks as though they are attempting to throw a knife at them. My sister is a cop thats why I know the exact way that this happens. And yes I do think it is suicide.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm Catholic and know that at one time the majority of Catholics believed that anyone who dies by suicide is going to hell......the Church no longer teaches that nor do the majority of Catholics believe that anymore...We also no longer teach "Limbo".....I understand that the Church taught that at one time, but we are definitely changing and growing.......although it is a VERY slow process......which has it's ups and downs........this is what I was taught by my favorite Catholic priest........"When God sees our sin, what He sees is our pain"..........I don't believe that God inflicts more pain on anyone.....I believe that when a person dies by suicide they are in so much pain they see no other way out of their pain.....and God sees them differently than we do....He sees them as his child in pain and wants to heal them, if they will allow it...and I believe this can happen after death, as well as before....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you haven't figured this out yet, This is a loaded question. I'll read more replies before I ask my real question. That is why I targeted the question for "religious people". I am a christian by the way. I hope this spurs rather than discourages more replies.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It depends on whether or not you think suicide in general is a forgivable sin.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010