How do you not loose your mind?

My son possibly had ADHD or ODD. We have never had him tested but he shows signs of both. He is 4 and in Head Start, I was expecting him to be antsy waiting for pictures to be taken. They are SOOO slow there. The kids stand in the hallway with NOTHING to do. Well I had him calm the whole time, he was playing games on my iphone. He was second in line. I though YES, we can do this. When his turn cam up he refused to sit where he was supossed to. He wanted to sit on my lap. He would not even sit with me sitting beside him and out of the frame. He would get mad, refuse, kick and scream. I tried bribing him, he was laughing at the photographer while on my lap but just didn't want to sit for the picture. They let two other kids go ahead of him and even tried the group picture. Still he refused. I just took him and left. It is just so frusterating.

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sorry, it is a memory. Not a picture. Someday you will laugh about it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is not the picture. It is just HS, no biggie. It is the way he acts sometimes.
    Shaylyn318

Comment by Shaylyn318 (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 4 yr old boys...I am guessing he is just 4, not close to 5? I have two sons 13 months apart. They are 4 and 5. There is a huge difference in the two of them age and behavior wise. My 4 yr old is a stinker. He has no patients to sit for a camera. He wants to do his thing and only his thing. I would wait to slap a label on him just yet. Try working with him...with tasks that require patients and quiet..a puzzle etc. He may out grow this behavior with your help.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Sounds like a typical 4 year old and not ADHD, ODD, and any other label. that people like to throw on to children of a very young age to try and explain why they act the way they do. I can't get either one of my children to pose for a picture to save my life. My nearly 4 year old is hyper, won't nap, and can't sit still longer than 5 minutes to save her life most days lol It is frustrating but they are children after all.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thanks for NOTHING. I am asking for ADVICE on how to deal with his anger and tantrums, ways to STOP it. I didn't come here to be talked down to.
    Shaylyn318

Comment by Shaylyn318 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• tell him that is isn't okay to _________. when he does it tell him we don't act that way.and ignore his fit. I have left millions of stores because my son threw tantrums, or I just keep shopping (i need groceries some time) If he is trying to get you to leave, you are rewarding it if you go, if it is because he want something (candy toys whatever) then just ignore it. It is hard dealing with the craziness a 4 year old brings the clamer he sees you the better my son stops faster if I just ignore it than if I got mad. Hang in there. I once sat on a bence out side walmart for 20 minutes with my son kicking and screaming because he didn't want to leave (after he had thrown a fit in the store) I just ignored it, he hasnt done it since, but be prepared to get dirty looks. A few rough weeks but now he is really doesn't throw the fits anymore
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• WOAH I didnt mean to come across as rude..but you asked "how do you not lose your mind?", and then opened it off with the fact that your son probably has ADHD...I was just saying he sounds like a typical 4 year old to me. Hyper, gets bored easily, ect.. This is just the way kids are..maybe not ALL kids..but a vast majority. How do I not lose my mind? Well.. sometimes i'm not sure lol I have 2 children under the age of 5 and there are some days I want to pull out my hair..Sometimes I step outside where I can see them through the glass sliding door and just catch some fresh air and cool off for a few minutes. In public..I always try to bring distractions or snacks with me if I know i'm going somewhere that isnt exactly kid friendly or that I know they will get bored. If those don't work then I usually try to keep them involved.. I will ask my daughter to find certain letters in the alphabet or colors on the walls..
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2010