Isn't justice and fairness sweet????

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/27/mississippi.lesbian.student.suit/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Policies will have to be changed!!!! well deserved?

Asked by older at 9:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Good! We need to stop hate and intolerance from being taught to our kids!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What justice and fairness. The school district will now have to take funds that should be used to EDUCATE kids and use them to pay this girl's legal fees. I don't see how this helps the girl's cause at all.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Equality and fairness is important, but one teen disrupted the entire school and budget over a girlfriend and an extra curricular activity. She got what she wanted, but how many children are going to pay for it ~ and how is THAT fair?  Answer by Farmlady09

I completely agree.  I don't really consider this a win for anyone.  Sure, it's a monetary hit to the school system, but what do we really learn from this?  I don't think forcing the school to pay monies to cover attorney fees will promote tolerance or acceptance.  This is nothing but a win only for the attorneys, IMO. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Here's a clickable link for you.

I agree that it's a shame that a struggling school district now has to pay such a large sum in legal fees.  Sadly, this could have been avoided had the school district recognized how their policies were discriminatory.  Really, they're just paying for their mistakes, like the rest of us do. Hopefully, other school districts will understand that discrimination is wrong, and ensure that they respect equal rights for all students, and there won't be any more law suits like the one Constance had to file. That's what these law suits are really all about--respecting and promoting equal rights.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, I don't see how this helps. I am not going to waste time rehashing the original incident, but the girl and the ACLU handled it wrong. Furthermore, schools are not obligated to hold a prom. Cancelling the problem DID seem like a logical solution to the problem at the time.

It's amazes me how you have no problem who gets hurt as long as your agenda is furthered. So sad.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Again, Farmlady, this was an issue of equal rights. What kind of lesson is it to teach about our Constitution and the Bill of Rights, to teach about the Civil Rights Movement, and then ignore it all to discriminate against one of their own students? What the school did was wrong. What the school did was illegal. If this wasn't pursued, then it would happen again, and again, and make it the standard practice. The wound was exposed and treated. Hopefully it will heal, and the school will take the necessary steps to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. So, again, it was not the student's fault. It was the school's. They chose to discriminate, and they paid the consequences for it. They knew what they were doing. Schools districts have attorneys. They made a choice, and that choice cost the school money. It wasn't Constance, it was the school.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• And I hope she continues to be the bigger person and puts that money back into the school. Schools are so underfunded, where is that money going to come from?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ysk, do you have a suggestion as to how this could have been handled better? The lawsuit wasn't about cancelling the prom, it was because the school was telling Constance that she would be removed from the prom if she brought her date. That's discrimination, and discrimination is illegal. Should she have backed down, and let this cycle of discrimination continue?  Should she have kept quiet to appease those who disapprove of gays and lesbians?  The Civil Rights Movement started with similar events.  Should Rosa Parks have given up her seat to avoid causing "trouble"?  What do you think would have been the right way to handle this?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Schools are supposed to be a place to learn, not a playground, not a dating service, not a battlefield. Thanks to the NEA and the progressives, schools no longer teach ~ they only serve as an outlet for an agenda.

I wonder how many teachers will lose their job to foot the bill for those legal fees. I wonder how many extra students will be crammed into a classroom because of it, how many supplies won't be purchased, etc.

Equality and fairness is important, but one teen disrupted the entire school and budget over a girlfriend and an extra curricular activity. She got what she wanted, but how many children are going to pay for it ~ and how is THAT fair?

The entire American public school system is a worldwide joke at this point, and all some of you can focus on is gay rights. Most of you that do also denounce home schooling, private schools, and vouchers. Gay is good and stupid is ok?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree Older. She never ceases to amaze me with her airheaded comments. ANd she is one of the most prejudiced and ignorant posters at CM. Sad.....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010