my darling daughter can't talk very well at all. she suffers of benign Hypotonia and

she very cute but developmentally behind .I'm tired of people who do not know what she has they stare because she acts early two/ we take care of her with intense physical therapy speech and OT she walked at two and half- all her therapist love her, she has the will to learn bubbly demeanor and her ability to learn, increases daily Can you help my heart ? I'm so angry towards people who act as though shes retarded !

greencateyes

Asked by greencateyes at 9:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You just have to remember that people are human and instead of taking the time to learn we are often judgemental. You I am sure are a wonderful mom doing everything you can to help your LO. Remember that you were chosen to take care of this LO who does have some special needs and that takes a special mom. Don't worry about other people, look at your LO and smile and let your heart be warmed by her and the love you share.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• remember you are in the very start of all of this....your first 5 years~and you are right on target with your feelings and demanding the world see your DD as a capable learner. You will change in your anger as you move through the years. Your learning curve will be intense and fast and it is showing already...allow yourself different feelings than your peer group....

Mothering funky kids is a journey and takes you places others don't get to go...it is a total up in the world of personal development and loving skills...the rest of the world has no idea what they are missing out on.

just know this all gets easier and you can totally do this~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• ps..hope the word funky doesn't sting...I have two funky feeders (Gtubes) use the word lovingly meaning a variant of normal~really~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm with you My daughter has Cerebral Palsy as a result has hypotonia among other things She is 10 but developmently is 5-6ish She has learned when someone stares she will go over and say hi, those people dont know what to say Are you involved with a group of moms locally for a shoulder?
    I dont really acknowledge those people anymore after 10years I know they dont understand and are missing out on a blessing. Lots of luck!!!!!! Just enjoy your unque child and enjoy life
    malcarsky

Answer by malcarsky at 4:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• lots of ppl have that struggle ... my neighbor boy is just huge - tall and big and looks about 6 when he is 4 and people will go off on his mom in public about his immature behavior - she just puts them in their place by explaining that he is only 4 and acting his age and that they are adults who are old enough to know to mind their own business. try something like that - tell ppl she had _____ syndrome and to mind their own business.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think you need a thicker skin. Ignorance is rampant! Stop caring what others think..and know your special child is lucky to have a loving mom like you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My heart goes out to you. It's going to be a hard road for her and you for the rest of her life. It might help if you find a support group for yourself and possibly a group for her to interact with. I work with special education students in a public school and it can be extremely hard for both the students that I work with and the general population that also attend the school. Along with myself who has to teach both the proper way to handle some of these situations and to treat each other. All I can say is don't hide from the public. It's going to be hard, but eventually people will become to understand her (not everyone but most) and life will get easier. Good Luck.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My daughter lagged behind too because she was a preemie. She suffered from hypotonia also and did physical therapy for the first 7 years of her life and had to wear orthotics from the time she started walking. Yes, some people are ignorant and some of the comments I received were insulting but for the most part, people were inquisitive (in a good, receptive way) and I used it as an opportunity to teach. For those folks that were just downright rude, I'd either ignore them or give it right back ... and it made me love her even more. I was doing what was best for my daughter and she was thriving. It's not easy at times but focus your time and energy on her and to hell with anyone else.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Stop caring so much what others think about her! Those that matter know she's bright, funny, adorable, loving....those that matter, matter. And those that don't, don't. You'll give yourself an ulcer....ignorance is "chic" these days.....and you'll go nuts trying to "school" people who have no desire to "know better".
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am so sorry these people are getting to you. People are ignorant all over the place. Try hard to ignore it and concentrate on your daughter. ((hugs))
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2010