Another question from the nervous 40 year old soon to be grandmother??

I was needing support yesterday, because I found out mt 20 year old son's girlfriend is pregnant. Now my husband and step-dad to my son is not taking the news well. My husband is 37 years old. We have three kids together...8 yr. old, 4 yr. old twins. I told him I need his support and not any negative talk. Sense Monday we are not communicating. I told him what I needed and now I'm just waiting for him to come around. I just feel sad! :( Any suggestions?? I had so many wonderful comments yesterday about me becoming a grandmother at 40. It made me feel so much better about the situation. The support is so helpful. Thanks so much!!

Beesplayhouse

Asked by Beesplayhouse at 9:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Your husband and step dad should also look at it as a blessing, they will come around once that baby is born......................................

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'd give him time to process it all.....Is it possible that he is not in a place where he CAN give you positive support, so he is not saying anything at all?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My parents became grandparents at 38 years old. I was 21 when I had my first child. So although you guys are young grandparents, I don't think it's that unusual. My boys are 19, 21 & 28. No grandchildren yet, and if my younger boys were about to become parents, I think I'd be concerned, but you can't change it, so no point in doing anything but looking forward to the grandbaby. Hopefully, your husband will come around and see that. Give him a little time, and best wishes to all of you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Did you know Lorreta Lynn Became a grandmother at the ripe old age of 28? She had her twins at 14 and one of them gave birth at 14!
    I just turned 50. I have 10 grandchildren. The oldest biological is 12. The oldest of them all is 14. Grandchildren are a blessing that can be compared to no other. Give your husband a little time. He loves you and his children. The joy a baby can bring to all your lives will be hard to resist. When my DD told me she was expecting I said "What do we do now.?" I was willing to help but not to take on the responsibility. Maybe your husband needs that kind of reassurance from you. He may be araid he will be expected to change dirty diapers again! LOL
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just give him time to let it sink in. Try not to obsess over it and talk about it a lot. The baby is coming no matter what so that's it. This is a blessing in disguise and there are worse things to fret about. You & your DH have at least 9 months to prepare yourselves and in the meantime, your Son needs to find a good job. Preparation is the key and when that wonderful baby is born everyone will forget they were so worried. Since you have small children, I bet you have everything the baby will need like blankets, crib/bassinet etc. I am 43 and had my first child at 39 and my DH is 43 too. So you know kids keep you young, we just look old!! LOL! Just kidding! If we all have our health, we have everything!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just give it some time I was 20 when I found out I was pregnant. My father wouldn't talk to anyone for days and he avoided me for a few weeks but he soon came around and loves playing with my 6 month old.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Honey, you cannot just go to your husband and drop that news in his lap and tell him to support you and not talk negatively without giving him time to process the 'bomb' you dropped. And remember to let him voice his opinions...he is entitled to them and needs someone to talk to and to support him also.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have 3 grandchildren. You will fall in love with the baby so don't worry about DH. He'll come around eventually.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Hmm, men are so stubborn & do not like to express their feelings. Maybe just hug him & be there for him, he may talk if you are gentle towards him. If that doesn't work then insist he does not ignore the situation, lol
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 9:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Give him time, even if it takes till the baby is born. He might not come around right away, but as soon as he meets his little grandbaby he should lighten up a bit!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010