dying garden..?

I'm renting a house, and the wife told me that I can pull up her flowers since they're probably going to die anyway [she's gardening impaired]. And she was right...they just up and died on me. Now I have no choice to get rid of the tragic plants, but there will be awful bare spots in the front garden. Since its already October, is there anything I can do to fill the spots...or would it be best for me to wait until spring [it gets somewhat heavy snow in the winter]?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 9:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You could plant mums for now and bulbs for later. The mums should last until the first heavy frost, then you'll need to dig them up & compost them. There will be a bald spots, but the snow should hide them until early Spring when the bulbs bloom. Crocus bulbs come up very early, sometimes when there is still snow on the ground, and you can get them in several colors. Day lilies come up later, but you will have color all Spring & possibly well into summer. Once the flowers are gone, their green leaves will be left to keep it looking nice.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Where do you live? When we moved to Virginia from upstate New York, I was amazed that pansies could bloom almost all winter. Everyone is planting them now.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You could plant colorful Mums now. They will come back next year too but they get a little leggy & never really grow like when you buy them in the pot but they will look pretty until winter. Otherwise just leave it until spring and plant. In the spring. You could plant a few low growing evergreen bushes near the house then plant perennials like Black eyed Susan's and Purple cone flowers in the middle and annuals in the front like impatiens, marigolds & petunias!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I do not dig my mums up and they come back again. Actually I have ones I planted in front of my azalieas four years ago blooming beautifully right now.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would plant a bush. This is the time of year for that.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Mums will last to the 1st good hard frost - pansies LOVE cold weather. Head to your local garden center.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Where do you live? That will make our answers a whole lot easier.
    Here in Alaska, you don't plant anything in October.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010