She Won't Sleep!!!

My daughter is almost 2 months old and this last week she has continuously fought sleep. She will take 5-10 minute naps during the day about 3 or 4 times and she is up until midnight or 1 am and will sleep until around 6, have her bottle and wake up a few hours later. I have tried everything, swaddling, baths, swing, boppy chair, rocking, etc. I checked her temp everything is fine. Last night every time she would fall asleep on me and I would lay her down in her bed she would scream. So I let her sleep on me, which scares me, so I didn't sleep well, but she did. We had a great routine going the last few weeks, and it worked for both of us. Any advice on how to get her to sleep better?

TiffanyNTrista

Asked by TiffanyNTrista at 10:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• check see how shes sleepying maybe she had a twiked neck or record your voice talking and just play it for her that way you dont have to be in the room

good luck

hugs
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You might want to check for signs of acid reflux? I know whenever we would lay my son down he would scream nonstop from being in pain.

Can you tell yet if it's a hurt cry or not? I've been there for so many sleepless nights and my heart goes out to you. Best of luck...
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 11:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I agree with the acid reflux idea.
    I'd also suggest having a "white noise" source in her room. Some people use a portable fan, some use lullaby music, I used a CD called "For Crying Out Loud". It helped us.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You should try a schedule. That's what worked for us. Make sure you do the same routine every night. I rock my little one to sleep first then lay her down. If she wakes up fussing, I go to her, give her the paci, pat her, then walk away. She calms down after that. Just be very consistent for the first 3 days. In about 2weeks she will be telling you the schedule. Also, make sure she has a lot of "awake" time during the day so she will be tired during the night. Madi gets her naps in the early part of the day. I keep her on a schedule during the day to. Its the only way we can function. Babies feel more secure when they know what to expect.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 1:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I would suggest reading the book "Baby Wise". I was very hesitant when someone told me about it, but when my baby turned 8 weeks old I WAS DESPERATE for sleep so i said "what the heck". Within 2 weeks my little girl was sleeping through the night, it was a miracle!! She is now four months old ands she continues to sleep through the night. I know the book has raised some controversy, but if you feel desperate like I did, you will try anything. Good Luck
    mommy-H

Answer by mommy-H at 9:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i reccomend the book babywise as well :) my baby sleeps 9-10 hours at night and has every since she was 7 weeks old. Scheduling works WONDERS if you ask me, she doenst take the GREATEST naps during the day, but i could care less because of how much she sleeps at night.

Good luck mama!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Mine didnt' sleep at all at that age unless I was holding him. I just didn't sleep at night for awhile, and then I gave in and slept with him in a reacliner. Now at 7 months he isn't the best sleeper, but he does sleep in his own crib and usually through the night. Just hates to fall asleep! Babies are really tough until about 3-4 months. Then it just seems to get easier by the week! I would say at his age, do whatever it takes to get some sleep. I wouldn't worry about starting bad habits or anything like that. I read Babywise, but it didn't work for my son. He was colicky, and he just didn't do well getting on a schedule until much older. We really aren't on a strict one now. He also had acid reflux. This was one reason why it couldn't get him on schedule. He would spit up so much at times there was no way he would make it to the next feeding "time."
    IlovemylilChase

Answer by IlovemylilChase at 5:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Hate to say it, but do whatever you have to do to sleep and to get her to sleep. Ilovemylilchase is right! If she wants to sleep with you, let her. My son slept with me for periods of time as an infant and I made it through. I had him sleep on my chest with pillows propped up under my arms so that I wouldn't roll over. My DH and I would take turns holding him for naptimes, too. After he turned 3 months old we started to lay him down on his belly with a pacifier and it worked like a charm. He had gotten so used to sleeping on us, but the coziness of being on his stomach was pretty close to that same feeling. I know that back sleeping is best and co-sleeping and stomach sleeping is not recommended, but you have to do what you have to do!
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Hay sweetie. Ava fights her sleep as well, really bad around the same age as Trista. I started a routine at night of a bath, bottle and put her in her robe with her slippers on (all warm and cuddled) and she would pass right out. i know you are not supposed to let them sleep on the boppy pillow, but that is the only way she will sleep. i'd have some sort of lull noise (fan or the heart beat teddy bear by her) and it helped alot. i'd keep her up and let her take an hour or two nap in the late afternoon and she would sleep great at night. i am sure you will find something that will work for both of ya'll. just give it time.
    MauranAva

Answer by MauranAva at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Be very cautious of the Babywise books...please read information on this web site before you try anything that "Dr" Ezzo says

http://www.ezzo.info/

The no cry sleep solution worked wonders for us
    http://www.pantley.com/index.html
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 3:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2008