Cleaning credit

I want to clean my credit to get a house. Who is good to use and who do I avoid? I don't want to get scammed but I would love love to get a house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've heard you can do it yourself. I heard you just contact all 3 credit companies in writting. Say you want the complaint removed, if they don't get back to you in a certain amount of time, it has to be taken off.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Are you talking about a debt consolidator? I suggest trying to do it yourself also if you can, so you can save money and not get scammed. If you go through your credit report you can call businesses listed, a lot of times they will settle for a lesser amount but you have to claim the amount that you didn't pay as income on your taxes as income.Then, after bad debt has been settled you can contest it with the credit bureaus either online or you can call them. Good Luck and I hope you get your house!! I am doing the same thing :)

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Everyone is for profit..research on your own how to dispute things on your credit...honestly its not worth paying someone to do for you. I did it on my own. It is a LONG process that takes time and persistance. Keep everything in writing and keep a small calander with dates of contact and replies recieved and keep going from there. There are plenty of free resources available for you to use! Best of luck, take your time and be patient a house will come soon. Also I know that the USDA loan program will give you free credit counseling for their program.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm not quite sure what you mean by cleaning your credit. Do you mean you want to get your credit score up? The first step would be to request your yearly free credit report from all the three credit bureaus and dispute anything that isn't correct. If you've been charged with late fees and it's been a while, you might be able to get the creditor to remove it from your report. Just keep in mind things like late payments, defaulting on payments and bankrupcies stay on your credit report for years.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2010