Any suggestions for the mother of a thumb-sucker?

My son is 9 and sucks his thumb. Our dentist has repeatedly explained how much damage he could do to his teeth and mouth, but he still does it. What products are out that can deter this habit?

ParkviewMom79

Asked by ParkviewMom79 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• http://www.kduncandesigns.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=glove&hdr=tg

This worked for both of my girls. They can't get them off in their sleep. If your 9 year old is sucking his thumb awake...he might be able to get these off but it is pretty hard. The watch band is encased and then closed off with velcro. Wearing gloves on each hand makes it hard to get the watch band undone.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i have to say my dd 13 still sucks her thump and so does ds 9 and the ped dentist said as long as i keep bringing them in for regular check ups and every thing looked good it wasnt and issue and the ped doc said not to make a big deal over it because its how they deal with stress......so unless your child has really crooked teeth and needs major dental work i say leave it alone
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I was a thumbsucker up until I was 16years old. I am now 21. It was a comfort thing for me, especially at night. My teeth aren't messed up, nether is my mouth. Granted, some children will have crooked teeth as an outcome, but I'd say as long as your childrens teeth aren't, for the moment, then what's the harm in letting him suck his thumb? if that's what soothes him, that is.....
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My child's teeth did become crooked through thumb-sucking and when we had braces put on her teeth she stopped...She says it felt different then, so not as comforting...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I sucked my thumb until I was in high school. I eventually quit on my own but my parents did try things to get me to stop prior and none of them worked- I ended up hiding the thumb sucking for a long time. If the doc is saying it COULD harm his teeth then I would wait and see what happens. If it is already doing serious harm then there is something that can be put in the roof of the mouth permanently and that makes it hard to suck the thumb. I just think it is such a security thing for thumb suckers that it's hard to get them to quit if they aren't ready. I was born with tiny sores on my thumbs from sucking them in the womb so this was something I had done my whole life. Tons of people get braces who never sucked their thumbs so he could end up needing that kind of thing anyway whether he stops now or not. I guess I'm just saying this could be really hard for him so decide if it is really worth the battle. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I understand the need for kids to have a security method - but thumb sucking IS very damaging to many different areas of the mouth. My sister sucked her thumb til she was 14 yrs old. She had to not only have braces, but she also had to have her jaw broken in order to have her bottom jaw reset. This was an extremely painful procedure. The roof of her mouth is damaged as well and she needs to have that fixed surgically as well. She had to wear her braces almost twice as long as I had to wear mine. All in all it's cost her about $12,000.00 to fix! I personally don't think this is an issue to "just leave alone". I don't know about you, but I know she didn't just have $12,000.00 lying around and she certainly could have spent the money in better more useful places than on something she wrecked all on her own. Do whatever it takes to get him to stop. I think my sister said soaking her thumb in Tabasco Sauce finally did it for her.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The first poster has a good idea. I'd go with that.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2010