How can I get my child to stop drawing out Bedtime?

I recently took the beloved Pacifier away from my 2 yr old and every night since (it has been 2 1/2 weeks) she screams and cries when I put her to bed. I am sure that if she wasn't in a crib that she would be out and wandering the house. She always needs this or needs that or wants this or wants that then needs a diaper change and makes a very big production out of bedtime. Before she always went to bed very easily and happily. Can anyone give me any advice to help us through this rough patch??

Thanks,
Shannon, Mom of 2

chyna1974

Asked by chyna1974 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was able to climb in and out of his crib and we thought he might get hurt so we switched to a toddler bed. But, like you, we didn't want him roaming the house, so we put a gate up at his bedroom door and that solved that problem. As for bedtime, we have found that having a routine has helped us. Such as bath, brush teeth, go potty, and read a book, etc. These things also help with getting him calmed down and ready for sleep. It helped when our child knew exactly what to expect. I also tell him, about 10 minutes before bedtime, it's almost bedtime...so he won't be caught off guard.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 12:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Give her a bedtime pass. This can be a simple piece of paper you print out or an actual item. But it works just like the hall pass when you were a kid in school. She can call you back and get out of bed once. When she does, you get to keep the pass until morning. Having a little bit of control may help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008