Is it cruel to keep dogs in a dog house in the yard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pets

• It is cruel to let them run loose and endanger them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• All the time? yes. Especially in cold and/or wet weather. They're not farm animals,there suppose to be family members!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think so, unless they are over 100 pounds! they need human interaction as any other pet.

Answer by older at 9:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well I have to be honest that I don't understand what the point of having a dog is if you are going to keep them outside. Legally, where I live you can keep a dog outside as long as they have a dog house and food and water but, it's not really a nice thing to do.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Personally, our dog is part of our family. He is inside and over 100 lbs. I think it's cruel to keep them outside when it's to hot or cold out for sure.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the dog and the situation. We adopted a mastiff at the beginning of the summer. We brought her inside to begin with but she wasn't house broken (she came from an abusive home where she was kept outside 100% and beaten to the point of broken bones) and frankly... as much as I love that sweet dog... I'm not up to cleaning up mastiff messes. She seems happy enough outside. She's not chained. She has a large, well built dog house filled with clean hay. Food and water always at her disposal. Do I think she suffers? No. And if I'd left her at the pound, she would've been put down. (It was her last day.)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I don't think it's cruel as long as that dog is aloud to come in a couple hours a day and get some love and attention. Or maybe you take him for daily walks, when it's wrong is when they are left outside alone with no attention.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If its not an extreme temp outside, have human interaction are well taken care of and well protected, then no.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Sure as hell is!

Dogs are pack animals. When we domesticated them, we became their pack. They need the interaction and the attention that being with their family all the time provides.

If you don't care enough about your dogs to bring them in, don't get a dog. It's that simple.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yeah how would you like ie.especially if is really cold outside or really hot
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010