Were any of you all who were in sororities ever paddled?

Rutgers University received a lot of negative attention when one of their sororities was accused of hazing and paddling some pledges and apparently the girls were hit pretty hard. I was in a sorority and the hazing was minimal and I just had to sing karaoke songs and things like that, and when it was time to get my paddle my big sister just gave me a one whack on my bum but it wasn't even that hard. Some sororities are more notorious for hazing than others and I was just wondering if anyone actually had to go through a paddling or if that practice really is very uncommon.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Whaaaat? I thought only Fraternities paddled their pledges? They didn't paddle Sorority pledges at The U of Minnesota....but I guess that was because back in my day, college girls were a lot more ladylike and less crude. That sounds really tacky!!! If I knew there would be paddling, I would not join.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No... But I have heard stories.... I was a GDI (G.D. Independent)...lol... Had a shirt I made and everything... I played sports and some of sh*t other athletes did to each other... OMG the gymnastics team and hockey teams were the worst!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Only if I asked nicely :)

CaledonianCutie

Answer by CaledonianCutie at 11:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes, we were paddled by a particularly sadistic upper classman. We had to strip below the waist, too, and she paddled until we blistered. I couldn't sit down for a week. She ended up working for Bob "B-1 Bob" Dornan, the mentally deranged former U.S. Congressman from Orange County. The last I heard she was chair, or deputy chair, of Orange County Republican Women. No shock there.
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2010