how to wean off night feedings

my 5 month old breastfeeds twice every night and then doesn't want to eat much during the day. i have heard that by 6 months baby's don't need to eat during the night, and i would like to get rid of at least one feeding.

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 10:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IDK, I had the same problem, eventually he stopped waking up and slept through the night, I did pump at night and feed him a bottle before he went to sleep, and that seemed to strech it out a bit ( I knew how many ounces he was getting, so his tummy would befull)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Don't. He'll stop when he is developmentally ready to sleep through the night.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 5 months is way too young to think about nightweaning and twice a night is really, really good for the age. They will sleep through when they are ready to, there's no deadline by which they should be doing it.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Only twice at night? Lucky you! Really, baby is probably truly hungry, so I would just continue to nurse. If you want, I guess you can try other things when he wakes up before nursing. Singing, rocking, cuddling, etc, to see if that will soothe him back to sleep before you offer the breast, but I feel that night feeds are still important at this point if baby is waking for them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my daughter gets up twice a night too. its alot better than every 2 hours :) be blessed hes giving you that much :)
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 12:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My DD ate twice at night at this age, at least, sometimes more than that. I let her decide when she was ready and gradually it reduced to once a night and then not at all by one year. I know people say they don't need to eat at night by a certain age but I just flat out didn't believe that to be true for my DD. I really felt she was hungry and needed to eat. I nursed her in bed so I would just grab her when she woke, lay down to nurse her and then I could doze and she usually fell asleep as soon as she was done eating, too. It helped me feel more rested to do it that way.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010