Do you think they are too young for this?

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas this year. I haven't been working the last five months, and money has been tight. I just started a new full time job, so I know I will be able to get things caught up, but I just don't know how much I'm going to be able to spend on Christmas. I like to try and make things special. My boys are 4 and 6 years old, and they are used to having lots of presents. I was thinking this year I would do something different.

I want to buy each of my boys (and my 14 year old stepson) just one present. Then, since they have been begging for us to go camping for some time, but we don't have any camping gear, I want to buy camping gear for the whole family. Tent, sleeping bags, the whole nine yards. Do you think 4 and 6 are too young to understand the concept of family gifts? Do you think they will be disappointed? I plan on wrapping everything for them to open.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• You could always give each boy parts of the whole...each gets a sleeping bag and headlamp, one gets a tent, another a campstove and the other a raft or whatever. Make the big presents something they can all share and open at the same time and the individual presents just for their use. Heck you can even stuff their stockings with bug dope, hiking socks, etc. If you're excited they will be, too.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Maybe the 4 year old will be too young, but the 6 year old should be able to understand.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• By tge way, Santa often brings ur whole family a gift. One year it was a pizza stone this year it will probably be bongos. It's always something we will all use and enjoy.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me set up the tent in the living room on Christmas Eve, and having the rest of the presents wrapped up inside it. He thinks that's too much, but my most memorable Christmas moment, was the year my mom and dad set up a huge sleigh in our living room (it was a sleigh we used for our girl scout Christmas parade that year) and filled it with presents. It was the element of shock and unexpectedness that made it stand out so much.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it will be fine if you wrap everything individually and let them open the gifts individually. I think they won't even notice that the gifts are less this year. Good luck.
    2kidsandtired

Answer by 2kidsandtired at 11:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think setting up the tent int he living room is an awesome idea. I can just imagine the look on the kids faces when they walk in to a big surprise like that lol. And as far as the "amount" of gifts, I don't think they will really care, I know mine would have LOVED getting the camping gear at those ages. We've been camping since they were really little and they love it. Maybe let them do a campout in the living room on Christmas night after the open everything, if you don't have a huge dinner planned :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would just buy a couple small gifts for the lo's to unwrap xmas isn't fun for kids unless they get a few toys
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010