UH OH, Billy is failing music! I am at my wit's end as what to do? Need a mom's help!

My DS just got his first kindergarten report card, he did exceptional in everything but music, in all 8 categories he got all 1's (the same as an F)! I messaged his music teacher and asked for a meeting, he said no need, my son is completely untrainable! I am shocked that a 5 year old can be classified as this, esp, when he is doing all 4 and 5's (A's and B's) in everything else, he sings and dances all of the time, and has even been asked to audition for a musical. He cannot have a new teacher, but I must do something to resolve the problem, as his music teacher is for all lower school kids, I don't want to come across as a Mom who thinks her kid is perfect, but would like a nice and effective way to talk to his music teacher again.. I also asked if his performance was that bad, why didn't someone notify us of it? He just kind of shrugged--any other issues have always been brought to our attention! Advice anyone?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• oh wow, have you talk to other parents to see what is happening with thier chldren in this class? sometimes its the teacher with a bad attiude thats the problem.......or you could go to the dirctor/princlple of you sons school and tell him about the teachers comments and attiude......i would be pissed if someone said that about my child at 5, because most 5yrs love to learn....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would contact the school, a teacher should be willing to meet with you- not trainable? at 5? it's not Julliard or anything some teachers just need to relax
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• He refused to have a conference? I would talk to the school directly and politely about the matter.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ok first of all what type of school do you have your son in sounds like an upscale private school. Thats terrible that they put that much empasis on music for a kindergartner. Has he ever been checked to see if he adhd and cant sit still during music or maybe he has a hearing issues and the music doesnt make sense to him. Some children have issues in learning different things and maybe he just doesnt like his teacher either. I would have a sit down with your son and ask him why hes having such a tough time in music and let him tell you what the problem is then you can take further action with your childs school and since removing to another teacher is not and option then you need to fight for your sons rights and dont let the school tell you otherwise your his only advocate. Goodluck
    klombardo

Answer by klombardo at 10:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No not a private school, a charter school, and the adhd thing is a no, as I said all of his other teachers, say he is well behaved, although normal fidgety like any 5 year old,, He says he does not like his teacher, but he does like music,,, I just need a way to approach this without making my son pay the price for the next 6 years!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2010