How can you protect your kids from online predators?

Computers, cell phones, chat rooms, social networking sites, digital cameras—these gadgets of our new high-tech world are the same tools criminals have at their fingertips, taking the sexual abuse of children to a whole new level. Many says that risks to our children are very close especially when they join social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and the like. What will you do if your child is approached by an Online Predator?

sarahlink38

Asked by sarahlink38 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine won't be allowed online without supervision. I know it's not that simple for everyone, but they won't have cell phones with internet, we will only have 1 family computer that will be in plain view of everything/everyone, they will be extremely limited in what they do on the computer. And as for anything they do at school - the schools they do/will be attending are super tight as far as security and watching students goes - the social networking stuff just doesn't happen there (if they try, school advisors get notification and the students get in trouble), and I will have 24/7 access to any sites I allow them to sign up for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• @Anonymous: Would you allow your kids to join on Facebook or Twitter? How do you feel about using parental control softwares or websites that monitor child's online activities?
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have taught my son better than to talk to people he doesn't know online. He has had a Facebook page since he was 10. He has no pictures, uses a fake name and is private. I am his friend and I have his password. He only adds people he knows as well.

I make sure my son has the tools to know what to do and how to do online. I don't try to keep predators away from him, but, rather teach him how to react if one were to contact him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i think that the beest way is to really edjucate them on the dangers of meeting and trusting people they meet on the internet and how you feel about it. because even if they dont have a cell and the home computer is supervised, they will find a way, either at a friends house or even the library.
    just make sure that they have a safety/emergency plan and never go alone. because lets face it, if we try to control them, they will just sneak around behind our backs.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We have only one computer and it's in the family room. It's placed so that if the kids are on it, I can see it by turning my head from the couch. They are limited to only a few (very) kid-friendly websites right now. They don't do any chatting on any of those sites. As they get older and want to venture into sites that are more interactive, we'll teach them about potential danger of strangers on line. I want them to be well-equipped to handle situations in a safe and healthy way.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 11:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Do you think parental control softwares and or websites are needed? I agree with "momslikeme366". Personally, I think parents aside from educating their kids should have ways how to monitor kids without having them know about it. With that, they will not sneak out of home just to get online, and even if they did, they will still be tracked down. What d you think? =)
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010