I am stuck going to a poorly planned potluck/party. What is a good dish to bring?

It will be a potluck and I am guessing there is no main dish. I was thinking of sloppy joes or walking tacos but not sure how to keep costs down or brown that much meat. I am thinking maybe I am missing something since people seem to bring those all the time. Is there something else that will be a good main dish?

Should I take a side too? I don’t want to put a lot into this but since I am stuck going.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Spaghetti
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I make hashbrown casserole and add sliced smoked sausage, ham or other cooked meat to it to make an affordable potluck main dish, and it always disappears. Enchilada Casserole is another affordable main dish that people love.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I like Macaroni and Cheese dishes or Deviled Eggs.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How many people do you have to feed? I think mac and cheese sounds good, or white chili!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• a block of velveeta, two drained cans of rotel, and one roll of cooked breakfast sausage or 1lb taco meat. serve with tortilla chips. Easy. Fast. Cheap. Goes a long way.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• or a 7-layer dip. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/7_layer_bean_dip/

you can also cut cost by skipping the avocado that some people won't eat anyway... i replace it with onion.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I WOULD SAY YOUR NOT MENT TO MAKE AN OBSESIVE AMOUNT OF WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE PROBLY DOUBLE WHAT YOUR FAM. WOULD EAT AT THE MOST! MY FAV. TO BRING IS KING RANCH CHICKEN. MAKE IT IN A LARGE FOIL PAN, VERY RICH BUT COST WLD B LOW!

bell3

Answer by bell3 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Do pulled pork. People can use it for sandwiches, tacos, or just as a meat dish. Just buy a pork shoulder roast, 4 or so lbs should be fine. Put it in the crock pot, pour in 1 cup of beef or chicken broth, and sprinkle with 1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, then shred and serve. It's simple, filling, cheap. It should only cost you about $10 for everything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i generally buy a bag or 2 of chicken marinate them in italian dressing and bake its fairly cheap and easy
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 1:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• make whatever you want to eat - something that, if that's the only thing you ate all night, you'd be satisfied. since it isn't well planned, you don't want to count on anything. I take a pasta dish when I go to things like this.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010