Chores

What are some age approriate chores for my 4 and 6 year old sons to help around the house and learn more responsibility. We had a rather bad parent teacher conference this morning and I'm not very happy right now. One of the things his teacher suggested is chores. What chores do your kids do to help you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They can clear their plates from the table, feed the pets and put laundry in a basket. Of course they should be cleaning up toys and putting away videos. Now is a good time to learn how to dust and sweep.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Put away their own toys; when you have something that needs to be put in laundry basket give to them and show them where it belongs. Show the older one how to hang clothes on hangers. Help with grocery foods brought in the home; even it’s just something real small and non-breakable say a can of peas. Little tasks like that will give them a sense of worth. Be patience with them.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Anything that has to do with cleaning up after themselves: cleaning up their toys, books, coloring stuff, putting dirty dishes in the sink, helping put away clean dishes, putting dirty laundry in the hamper, helping fold and put away their own clothes, helping take out the trash/recycling, helping carry in groceries, dusting (my kids love to dust), etc.

My 4yo does all that plus cleans the kitchen counter after she makes her lunch and sweeps the floor (well, she tries).  She helps in the yard and helps with the baby.  My older kids (8, 9 and 10) know how to do their own laundry and have been doing it for a couple years now.  They learned to fold and put it away at 4 without help.  They all empty the dishwasher without help.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I hate to say it but good luck-lol I have 2 girls and they're 11yrs apart my oldest is now 22 and youngest 10 and I guess it must be me but unless they wanted something I couldn't get either to consistently do chores. On a plus note though my oldest is a Mom of 2 girls and she keeps her house clean...
    Mom2Emily10

Answer by Mom2Emily10 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Empty wastebaskets, feed the pets, put their clothes away, definately make them put their own toys away. If you don't do it now, you will be cleaning up after them till they move out of the house!
    tucson.mary

Answer by tucson.mary at 6:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My daughter is almost 4 and she does some chores. She helps feed the dog, put the dog away when we leave (he's a small dog btw), clean up her toys, put the TP away when we buy more, pick up the dog toys, help me make the beds, and wipe things, like her toddler table for example.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 at the end of December and she helps set and clear the table. She also helps with the dishes, of course I have to wash them over often but she likes getting to do it. I also only let her do plastic things and no silverware but she is getting the idea of how to wash the dishes. She also makes her own bed, not perfect but she is proud of doing it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• my ladies help with picking up toys before resting time and again before bed... they are expected to put their cups and plates in the sink... they also put their clothing in the wash basket after they get changed. ... they love to help wash windows, while it's streaky and done with only water, it makes them feel important while giving them some responsibility while i am doing my chores.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010