How pathetic is this? (or maybe you think it isn't pathetic at all?)

Am I alone in thinking the Detroit Public Schools' situation is ridiculous? First they bribed kids just to show up for school on state count day (important for state aid funding) with prizes from local businesses. Now, because only 34% of parents are involved with their kid's education (per Fox 2 this morning) they're bribing PARENTS to attend conferences other active participation. They'll earn points to turn in for discounts at local stores. Are you kidding me?

I know it's all for the kids in the end, but come on, parents! Do your job even without something material in it for YOU. And shouldn't the school board be able to spend their time improving the schools, not paying off lazy parents? Sheesh! (Sorry to all the good parents in Detroit. I know you're out there and I DON'T mean you.)

Maybe there's another way to look at this?

DivaDynamite

Asked by DivaDynamite at 10:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, I find it equally pathetic. Children should be attending school and parents should be involved and attending school functions for the parents. No bribing should be necessary.

I'm a member of our school's PTO and am the head homeroom mom for DD's class...it upsets me to no end to see how little parents are willing to participate in their child's education. I know parents that have never entered the school...never met the teacher...and they are okay with that!!

IMHO, if you cannot accept the responsibility of parenting (and that includes being INVOLVED), then maybe you should have reconsidered the whole kid thing.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree that it's sad that we have to do this, but I see the value in it. If you can get kids to school, it will make the next generation stronger, and hopefully they will appreciate the value of their education and make sure their kids get to school because they want them to have a good education.

If you get parents to conferences, kids are likely to do better in school, and hopefully same result. I hope the points are for things their children need!!

Whatever it takes to get our kids a better education, and build a stronger future for this country.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with you! It is not right to "reward" someone for doing the right thing.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• OP, my daughter is a teacher at an alternative school, she uses food as an incentive for these kids because they do not get fed at home and are always hungry, when parent/teacher meeting come around out of hundreds of them she might get one or two parents show up, and then they wander how their kid got to be in this alternative school to begin with.....

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• That is just sad on the part of the parents and how they raise their children. They should be supportive! They should support their kids and encourage them to GO to school in the first place, then they should also be supportive enough to show up for their kids when they can! Truly sad and pathetic on their parts! I only hope the chidren grow up to realize they need to instill better actions into their own children. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is pathetic that they have to go through such extremes to get parent participation, you got a better way?

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it's sad.....don't know what else they should do, though.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Nope, I don't have a solution or better idea on how to get people to do whatever it is that they are supposed to do just beccause it's the right thing to do. And, like I said, I know it's all for the kids in the end.

I'm just flabbergasted that there is such an overwhelming level of parental neglect toward their child's education. From the time my children started school I've worked with them on their homework, attended every parent-teacher conference, been the newsletter editor, the secretary, and the president (2 years) at their preschool, joined the PTA and attend some of their meetings, volunteer time in the classroom (I don't work), chaperoned field trips, lead a Brownie troop, organized fundraisers, I know that's more than many, less than others. But what the news presented as the sad level of uninvolvement...I'm sorry. I'm shocked that parents could care so little about their child's future.
    DivaDynamite

Comment by DivaDynamite (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thanks for helping me see that I'm not that far out there for thinking this way.
    DivaDynamite

Comment by DivaDynamite (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it is sad that they have to resort to that, but I dont know how else they would do it though.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010