Would you accept your 16 year old daughter dating a 20 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Nope....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• HMM, would like a bit mor info, What do you think of the 20 year old? Is your daughter mature? Did they know each other from high school, where did they meet?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No! She is a minor!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It depends on a lot, 4 years is really not a big age difference.

Answer by older at 10:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• it depends on their maturity level, and the characters of both, as witnessed by myself and others. if someone is up to no good, you know it, or feel it. and, at the age of 16, unless you lock her in the closet, she will see whoever she wants---especially if you have a hard-on against him.
    IMO your job as a parent is to prepare your child/teen for the best life possible. you are to instill in them values and self-worth, so that when someone unsavory (or just a rotten brat) comes along, they will make the best choice for themselves.
    hopefully.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When I was 16 I was dating my now husband who was 24 at the time. My parents allowed it bc they knew he was the one and i would have done anything to be with him. but i know every situation isnt like mine. i think as long as you trust her and him it should be fine. i was 16 going on 17 at the time. and well....i ended up gettin pregnant too!!! so maybe my situation isnt the best to go by as i am sittin here thinking about it lol!!! either way you know ur daughter best...good luck
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'd like to say I would have a problem with it, but when you look at maturity then no.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• it depends on the guy. i was dating a 20 year old when i was 16.
    i would meet the guy, feel him out, ask my daughter where he works, what does he do with his life.
    if hes a low life, then no.
    if hes a good guy with a job, then 4 years is not that big of an age difference, especially because guys mature slower then girls.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• it depends. If she is mature, and he seems to be, too....then maybe. I would be sure they know the laws. As long as you have a mature daughter, set boundries and rules that you know you can trust her to follow, then I would think about allowing it. If you dont, you will run the risk of her losing YOUR trust and just going behind your back.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It really depends on both my daughter and the 20-year-old.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010