How would you start saving money secretly?

I want to start squirelling money away. I don't want my family to know because then they will feel deprived and I don't want that. I just want to put away money that will otherwise be wasted on impulse purchases.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I do all the books here so my husband doesn't even know what's going on!!
    If your husband has access to the accounts, I'd open another account just in your name and start stashing there!
    ~Lisa
    MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 10:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I have a separate savings account in a different bank. Each pay day I take out a little bit of cash and deposit it into the other account. One week it may be only $20, but another it could be $100. It just depends on how much I need to keep to be able to pay bills and buy groceries. I've got a decent amount saved up. Hopefully we'll use this to put a good down payment on a car this summer. And hubby has no idea about it. He's the reason why I hide money and save it...he likes to spend money like it's water or something.

Anonymous

• Put some money in a seperate savings account ,,that is in a different bank, from the one your using right now.

Answer by louise2 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have the same problem. I am not trying to be decietful, but if we don't see it, it doesn't hurt. If we just don't have money we don't spend it. I want to put money away for our later needs, expenses that come up yearly or quarterly. I can't seem to do it with our regular accounts.
    Anonymous

• i do it, i just put it in a really good hiding spot so hubbs can't find it, i've saved up for Halloweens and x-masses. He gets pissy when he finds out i've been hiding the money but then i remind him about the thousands he was wasted with nothing to show for it.
    i get a lock box and put it somewhere safe.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have to agree with everyone else. A separate account is a great idea. It's easy to forget you have the money if you don't see it all the time.
    iagirl918

Answer by iagirl918 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ING savings account. This is the ONLY way I was able to start saving money. It's a reputable online bank. I loved it so much I now have my checking account thru them. You can set up automatic savings plans. I set up for ING to take $25 out of my checking every payday. Since it's online, you can't impulsively get the money. You can transfer the cash back to your checking but it takes 2 business days so that really eliminated impulse purchases. If you have direct deposit, you can also set up thru your payroll to have a certain # of money sent straight to them. Out of sight, out of mind!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2008