Does your child have a blankie?

How old are they? How old are they when they get rid of it?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My middle and youngest both had 'binkys' (blankets). My middle used to (youngest still does) take binky everywhere. When my middle was 5 he stopped taking it everywhere, although he still used binky at home and at bedtime. He is now 12 and he had outgrown binky and does not need it anymore. He does still have binky it is in one of his boxes of toys and 'important' stuff. My youngest is 4 and still very attached to his binky. I imagine he will give it up when he is ready, although when he turns 5 we may start putting limits on where binky can go. I don't believe in taking it away from them when they out grow it they can decide what to do with it (either keep or toss). My mom has my blanket from when I was little and I have my beloved "Grandmas baby" (baby doll from my grandma) that was my "lovey" and I took it everywhere with me. IN fact my mom would make doll and I matching outfits.. it was cute.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and carries a blanket with her. We have to take everywhere we go. If we forget it, it's not a pleasant trip.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I still have my teddy bear from when I was a baby. Who says kids have to get rid of everything?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• All four of my kids (6, 5, 3.5, and 2) have blankies. I bought them for the baby during each pregnancy. I don't see why they should have to "get rid" of their blankies.- I told my oldest if he ever decided he was "too old" (we've had phases) for his blankie, that I wanted it back. It's raggy and faded but frankly, it tears me up to see that soft old thing and remember swaddling him up in it. I also still have my childhood lovey.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 11:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and has a green blanky...I am not that worried about her "letting it go" It stays in the car when we go out or at the house.I just say other kids will try and play with her(the blanky) My 1 year old has one also BreBree they are the swaddling blankets so I can easly carry them around lol.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I think my son's comfort item is his sippy cup, he is 1.5 years old my the way.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 11:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with ballewal, I still have a teddy bear from when I was a baby and my husbands blanket from when he was a baby. My son has a blanket and teddy bear which he loves and takes everywhere. I think there is a point when they should stop using them to sleep with but I don't know when that should be.
    2kidsandtired

Answer by 2kidsandtired at 11:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have a stuff rabbit since I was 6 months old---- I am 31, my 10 year old DD has a fish and she is really attached, My son 7 has a monkey but it is not a big thing for him you can take it or leave it. But for my DD is HAS TO HAVE HER FISH TO SLEEP.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have a 2 1/2 yo that loves his blankie. It is mostly when he is tired. But he is total freak about it being on him the right way when he is trying to go to sleep. He will wake me up in the middle of the night just to fix it. It use to not be an issue, he just carried it around. His dad just recently deployed and now it has to be just right. The problem is that he is getting so big the blanket doesn't fit...lol. I am gonna have to figure out away to make it work, at least till dad is home!! He doesn't take it with him when we leave the house though. I think that most kids are attached to something, some longer than others!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 1:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Almost 4, she has a bink. It is a small blanket with an animal head in the middle. She ha a bunch. She is a little choosy but will accept a number of them. Only for nap and bed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010