Would you let your 8th grader stay home due to headaches?

My son has been getting these lately. So far he's missed four days of school because of them. Migraines run in my family. On the one hand I don't want him to get behind in school but then again I worry that it might be a migraine because he also gets nauseated with them and his eyes are all puffy. I don't feel right sending him to school either. Besides if he's having a migraine how much attention is he going to pay in class anyway. Just wondering if its overkill to keep him home everytime he has a headache. What would you do? Thanks for any advice. :o)

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, if you believe him and don't think he's faking. I suffered migraines as a child and there was no way I could have gone to school with one... I would be in agony, really sensitive to bright lights, and would finish off by projectile vomiting and then sleeping for about twelve hours straight. I would, however, see a doctor, just to make sure it's migraine and not something more serious, and to look into some of the migraine-specific meds out there that can help to minimize the time he misses. I would also get him to keep a migraine log and see if he can find a pattern as far as food and weather go... my 8 year old gets migraines but after we pinpointed what triggers his (mainly food items) we are able to really cut down on the number of migraines he gets and the amount of school he misses.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would take him to the doctor so we could address the issue. 8th grade is far too important to miss multiple days.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Maybe not every time cause you dont want him to get behind. I get migraines alot to and yea I cant concentrate. Maybe find a medicine that you can give him to help. I take the excedrin migraine and it works really good and within 30 minutes, but I dont know if he is old enough for it.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would keep him home too, and make sure he makes up any loss school work.

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Not sure if you have migraines (you said they run in the family) but if he is truly having a migraine I would keep him home. If he feels better later then you can send him on to school. If it is just a regular headache then some tylenol and send him on his way.
    lvmeeyes

Answer by lvmeeyes at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would keep him home and call the school and see if one of his classmates or u can go up there and get the work so he isn't behind. I would take him to the doctor,just to make sure that it is not anything more serious.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Doctor time, you have to find a way for him to cope with it. If they are in pain they should not have to sit in school. Call his doctor and see what you can do to help him..

Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Keep him home, and go see a doctor about the headaches.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would give him some ibuprophen and send him to school.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Get him on imitrex or caffergot so he doesn't have to suffer whether he's at home or at school!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010