Is "inadequate lashes" really a medical problem?

I don't know what to make of those "Latisse" ads. Is this another way for women to feel that there is something wrong with them? First, we're not skinny enough, so there are products and procedures targeted at us for weight-control. Grey hair? Color it! Too many laugh lines, we need anti-aging products. Stretch marks? See your doctor for a prescription. Lashes not long enough? Not thick enough? Prescription! When will it end?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I abhor TV advertising for big pharma.
    no, I won't ask my damn doctor if the pill you're pushing, but refuse to identify the condition which it treats, is right for me.
    no, I don't think that any pill that pregnant woman can't even TOUCH but which treats the "medical condition" of baldness can justify its existence.

and now they are pushing a pill for those who've lost their eyelashes as a cosmetic measure. disgusting.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Latisse was originally developed for women with cancer to help get their lashes back, because no wig or makeup can do that. I understand that. But the company figured there was more money in widespread marketing (and I do have issue with that).
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I know!!!!! yikes. Does health insurance pay for it? oh my goodness,I hope not. I confess to coloring my hair---but that's it. I am happy with just being myself.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is kind of silly. People without any lashes have a medical issue, since lashes help keep stuff out of our eyes. People who need mascara to feel their lashes are glamourous do not.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Actually, our eyelashes serve a purpose. They filter out dust fragments and foreign objects that could be harmful to the eyes. So it's actuall very possible if someone had a medical condition towards the eyes(thin retinas or corneas, glaucoma) insurance may pay for it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It will never end, because a lot of us are not content with our image.

Answer by older at 11:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have too many lashes! lol

The amount that some go through is excessive to me....but if that makes them happy, so be it.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've given about as much thought to longer and lusher eyelashes as I have to anal bleaching.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dont see anything wrong with wanting to change your appearance. When people lose weight, get rid of stretch marks or whatever, they feel better about themselves and happier.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I guess it depends on what they really mean. Eyelashes actually serve a purpose. I have known people that have lashes that grow backwards and scratch their eyes when the hair finally erupts from the inside of their eyelid. But if it's just because they are short or not 'plentiful' and not causing an actual medical condition then I don't see why it would be something that would require an Rx covered by ins. I guess I'm just not that vein.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2010