Teens (14 year old) sleep habits...crazy sleep schedules...no matter how hard I try to make it otherwise.

My son who is 14 SEEMS to sleep a lot. Then again I think he's staying up in his room all night too, after the rest of us are in bed. He claims he can't sleep at night but then he wants to sleep all day. On weekends and during summer he pushes it past 12:00. Sometimes later. (I'm slightly feeling guilty as a parent because I seem to have such a hard time getting him up.I mean I don't think its healthy. I try but he can be impossible to get up) We are all night owls though, I've never been a morning person myself and find it extremely hard to feel normal on a morning schedule even though due to school and work we do it anyway. My husband is even worse. In fact he opts for the night shift to work and for many years of his life has done so up until now where he don't have a choice. My husband has been known to be up all night and sleep to 3 pm the next day. I say this because I wonder is this genetics, a teenage thing or what?

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I am a night owl and so is my hubby and kids. We have been like that for years. It could be more likely a habit. Partcould be genetics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Some of it is a teenage thing; teens body clocks put them on a later schedule. They also need more sleep than adults, do. Most high school schedules are based on things like efficient use of buses, not on what would be good for the students. Some schools that have shifted to a later start for teenagers have found that they have fewer absences, fewer discipline problems, and better grades when they do.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• .......too add to my question I feel its extremely wierd that my husband has this sleep schedule naturally. I worry though about my son because he's been gettin headaches and I wonder how much this has to do with it. Staying up to late at night and having to be up early to go to school. He has to catch the bus at 6:35 am. What would you do if your son was doing this. I make him to be early but then he's up off an on all night snacking.....He seems to be forever hungry. Just don't know what else to do.
    christina259

Comment by christina259 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My parents let me suffer. I went to bed when I felt like it but I had damn well be up to go to school in the morning. If I didn't get up, my mom would pour ice water on me :)I am still like that and always choose to work nights if I have the chance. My natural rhythm is to stay up til 10am and then sleep until 6 or 7 pm. Too bad I can't function like that with kids. I drink LOTS of coffee and have a lot of headaches. I still get 8 hours but it doesn't feel like I do.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• wow......these things are good to know. At least I don't wonder if we're somehow out of the realm of "normal". Guess I also don't want to be slacking as a parent. Due to my sons headaches(which could be due to lack of sleep) he's missing school. That got me really concerned. Me and hubby are kind of hard on him getting him up in the morning and making him go to bed early but we have to be to conform to societies standards I suppose. His darn bus comes at 6:35 am......that don't help ,lol. I feel bad about being so hard on him because me and hubby both know we are the same way but at the same time we don't want him getting behind in school.....and raising him up from sleep to the land of the living tends to take more than gentle shake for him,lol. Don't pour ice him just have to sound like we're getting mad and he''ll be in trouble in 2 seconds if he don't get up.
    christina259

Comment by christina259 (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think is genetic... My oldest son (16) always have trouble going to sleep, while the other two go to sleep without a problem.... I try to push for phisical excersice, so he can fall sleep easily!....
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i have three at home john 30yrs goes to bed at 5am and does not get up at 5pm
    nina 21yrs goes to bed any where from 11pm or 12am and wakes at 7 am
    nick 17yrs goes to bed when he is tried which could be any where from 6am or 7am and not wake up till tuesday when it was monday he need to be in bed i just couldn't get sleep mom
    hubby goes to bed at 11'30 pm each night wakes 8am,and i go to bed 2am each day try to get out 11am
    if i go sooner i wake up at 3am so your son has hard time turning off his brain and can't seem to fall a sleep oh yes and his eatting habits will get more when he gets older ,don't worry this is all normal,the headaches are cause from not having a meal so don't worry by time he gets older the food intakes will get smaller
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can always get him checked out by a doctor. I used to sleep in a lot as a teen, but rarely made it past 10.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2010