Full time new mommy to be, how do you do it?

I am expecting my first son and will be returning to work full time. The way my schedule is set up I will be working 4x10. So 10 hours a day 4 days a week. So pretty much I will be gone all day the days I do work. How to working moms handle breastfeeding, sleep, taking care of baby and husband and home while still being able to.care for yourself?
This is all going to be very new to me, any tips, tricks of the trade?
My husband is very supportive and will be home during the day and work at night, so that way one of us will always be with our son. Will this put strain on a marriage? What have your experiences been like?

way2cute

Asked by way2cute at 11:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• Can you pump your milk at work? Do you have the type of job where you can take your lunch and have your husband bring in the baby and you nurse her? It's not ideal but both of those will stop your milk from drying up until you are ready to stop breastfeeding.There is no such thing as sleep w/ a new born. Try to delay returning to work until she is sleeping all night if you can. It will put a strain on your marriage because your life is about to be turned upside down. Make sure you have time for hubby on your off days. Maybe cook crockpot meals so it's easier of both of you. Don't be afraid to hire a cleaning lady so you don't have to spend your off days doing mundane tasks and can just spend it with your family. Good luck to all of you!
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I worked 8 hours 5 days after giving birth to my son. I breastfed for the first 3 weeks then started him on a bottle. No one ever told me I could get a good full time breast pump for cheap on ebay when I was PG the first time and I couldn't afford a new one. :0( With DD I went back to work part time 4 days a week for 6 hours. I pumped for her. She was fed exclusively breast milk for 6 and a half months. I did have to supplement with formula some after that. It will be heart breaking to return to work so be prepared for that. :0( Know you are doing the best you can and that is all that matters. You will have to budget time when you are home. Come up with a loose weekly cleaning schedule and daily routine. I highly recommend a sling for baby. When you are home you will feel pressed to get things done and by wearing your baby you can feel close to him/her while doing what you need to do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• As far as sleep goes. I took 11 weeks off with DD and she was 'sleeping through the night' bu then. i would set an alarm to pump at 2 am. Working and pumping can take a hit on some mom's supplies. I was one of them and night pumping helped. Feeding DD and putter her back to bed before work at 5:30 am became a routine on days I worked. When I didn't I fed her when she woke up. I also would feed her before bed around 9-10pm.
    With DS I went back to work after 8 weeks. Since he was bottle fed there was no sleep issues for me and since DH was unemployeed he handled it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Get into a routine as soon as you can after going back to work; that will help keep your sanity. I went back to work at 6 weeks with my first and 8 weeks with my second. I breastfed my oldest for about 3 months (I had to stop due to illness), and my youngest for 6 months. I know a lot of women that have breastfed for longer. I worked 8 to 5, so I pumped 3 times a day with a Medela Pump In Style. You will need a good breast pump. Mine were both very good sleepers, so I don't have much advice there, other than take naps on the weekends if you need them. It will likely put a strain on your marriage (the baby, not the working) because it is such a big life change, but it will get better. As for cleaning, don't worry about your house being spotless.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes it can be done. Yes there will be stress on your marriage, but that is from the new addition to your family. Yes you can breastfeed and work - I pumped for the first 12 months and nursed for 16 months.
    No real advice other than to do what you need to do to make you, your baby and your husband happy and healthy. Remember, if mama ain't happy, no one is happy!
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 9:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I worked full time with a newborn, and managed to breastfeed for 23 months. It can be done, and is easier with a supportive and helpful spouse, and a helpful supportive employer.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Where I work we actually have Mom's Rooms where you can go and pump with no interruptions during your break. The one thing that helped me was a to do list. I put down everything that needed and done and when I or hubby would do that task we would just cross it off. DO NOT PUT ANY NAMES NEXT TO IT. If hubby only did 2 things that week I was happy and told him thank you. I don't get up set if the house is not 120% clean, just do a little every day. After a shower I spray down the shower, wipe down the mirror and fixtures and scrub the tolet. I load the dishwasher in the morning and when DH gets home he unloads it. Or I start a load of wash, he puts it in the dryer or folds. Also scedule DATE NIGHT at least once a month to stay connected with each other. Even if it's just a movie at home or just music, dancing and wine after the baby is asleep. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 12:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• By the time I went back to work, my baby was sleeping during the night so that wasn't a problem. I supplemented breast feeding with formula. My mom watched the baby. My husband helped when he could.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010