Night terrors

My husband and I have been having hard time with our 21 month olf sleeping in his bedroom. Today we are turning his crib into a toddler bed because he keeps jumping head first out of the crib. So last night, my husband had him sleep with us. He did really well and didn't cry, but I believe this isn't a good idea. Now my husband is saying that the wants him to sleep with for a few nights, but I think it's going to start a bad habit. I explained to him that night terrors are normal for kids his age, and they don't get better in a few days with him sleeping in our bed. Am I right?
Also, how did you help combat your toddler's night terrors?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 12:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If the change is causing the crying, then it isn't night terors. It could be fear of the change. Night terrors are basically when a child wakes from sleep screaming or crying almost as if from a horrible nightmare.

For your situation, I would suggest placing the toddler bed in your room for a couple nights and then moving him slowly back to his room. A change like this can be very scary for a little one.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• They won't go away. But I always found it comforting to myself to be closer to my daughter when she did have them.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The thing is, he has been sleeping so well for a long time in his own bedroom. The crying when we put his down is a new thing. He has been in his own room since he was 11 months old. I don't believe it has anything to do with change. He won't take naps, and is wide awake way after 10 at night. He IS tried because he slept like a baby when he slept with us. I don't know what's gotten into him lately.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My oldest daughter had night terrors from 2 until 4 years and she'd wake up no matter where she was, screaming and crying and I was not able to settle her down like she would if she were conscious. There isn't any way to stop night terrors, they just grow out of them. My daughter hasn't had one in almost 4 months which is a record for us.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• night terrors is a cycle the body gets into,,,you need to break that cycle...you do this by going in 10-15 min before the night terror would normally happen...fully awaken your child...this means eyes open, sit them up, ask a few questions to get them awakend..then lay them back down for bed...a lot easier than it sounds they will be very sleepy since night terrors happen in your deepest sleep cycle. Do this for 4 or 5 nights and the cycles should be broken...

this is the advice i got from our nurse line at our pedis office, we did it and it WORKED...been night terror free for over a year now.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Also night terrors when the child is having one, will look like the child is fully awake, they will carry on conversations with you, and interact like they would during the day, but they are usually VERY afraid of either snakes, spiders, or a couple other animals that i cant remember...no matter how hard you try to calm them down it wont work, you have to wait it out...my daughter would do this for HOURS at night it was horrible.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• OMG, I just went through the same thing with my daughter. She is 3 and she was used to sleep in her own room until she watched Monster Inc, the movie and that was the end of her sleeping in her room. After she watched the movie she got nightmares for a long time and woke up in the middle of the night crying and screaming and the first night that she cried my husband took her to our bed and as soon as her head touch the pillow she was out. We slept like that for about couple days until I realized I didn't want her to get use to be with us all the time. So I decided to put her to sleep in her bed and as soon as she was awake be there by her side and comforter her and tell her that everything was fine. Well I didn't sleep for maybe 4 nights because I was with her to comforter her every 15 min. I got to my to breaking point and gave up. She sleeps in her bed part of the night and then comes to our bed. Good luck and keep us post i
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my 2.5 yo DS was having haaving night terrors too. well we actually came to find out its either nightmares or seperation anxiety.
    we were told when he wakes up in the middle of the night crying/screaming to go show him that we are here and hes ok. And hes been alot better for the last 2 weeks.
    JT32606

Answer by JT32606 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010