Should I keep pushing my daughter to work harder?

My third grader is a excellent speller,so when she missed one of her spelling words,which is kinda my fault because I didn't notice she spelled one of them wrong when she did a practice test at home.I know she can spell them all,except the words are getting harder and I can't expect her to get them all right.How do I teach her to try her hardest without pushing her to perfection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dau is also in 3rd grade & also a good speller. When she brings home the list of words, I give her a verbal quiz. If she is struggling w/ a word or 2, I have her write them 3 times each on the first day. Usually by the next day, she has them down, but if not, just repeat the procedure and have her say the letters as she writes them. Seeing, hearing & writing the words will help them sink in.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My SD is 7 we will usually blurt out her spelling words through the day and have her spell them. This helps repitition and memory. Try it out :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It sounds like she's already trying her hardest and doing well. :) Just because she made a mistake doesn't mean she isn't trying hard. Keep your expectations reasonable and be supportive.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 2:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I am a huge fan of read, write, read.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would say go over it with her and help her to learn it and don't push her. If she pushes herself, there is not much you can do about it except maybe tell her how you are so proud of her for her efforts even if she does not get a perfect score. Some people are just the kind of people that push themselves and if your daughter is one, she will do it no matter what.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i wouldn't make a huge deal of it... be sure to be careful with her work, correct her as needed... and let her know that a mistake or one missed question isn't the end of the world.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Don't push harder unless you know she is missing on purpose. Give her encouragement and work with her, but don't demand perfection.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2010