toddler w/ sore on lip and very swollen gums!

my 21 month old had a temp for a few days. 102 to 103. He threw up a few times. Then as his fever passed he got a sore on his lip. Red and puffy spot, cracked. I thought maybe from being dehydrated. But now, a day later, his gums are very red and swollen, some of the swollen spots are almost covering his teeth. What is this? what do I do? I called his doctors office and i'm currently waiting on a call back.

LovesHerKiddos

Asked by LovesHerKiddos at 12:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just went throught the exact same symptoms, in that order. One night he vomited a couple times out of nowhere. The next day he was just whiney and generally feeling unwell. No appetite, then the fever came. The next day the fever was gone but there popped up the mouth sores. It was coxsackie virus. (hand foot and mouth disease). I would ask your pedi about the possibility thats what it is and ask them for an rx for majic mouthwash if it is. That stuff is the only thing that helped my son. PM me if you have any questions.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Wow I have never heard of this. The doctor is the best bet. He should be seen. Hope he feels better soon.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have NO idea
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 12:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Did any one with a sore on there mouth kiss him???? I hope not then it could be herpes!!!! It can be dangerous in infants!!! Take him in to the DR dont wait for a call!!!!! Go imedatly the poor lil guy is probally in pain!!!! I hpoe he's ok!!
    MichelleBabyBoy

Answer by MichelleBabyBoy at 12:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• wow...hvnt heard this either...but i hv heard of the hand foot mouth disease just nvr heard of the symptoms... definitely doc time!!!
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010