my dog never barks..Untill

If she's outside and the mail lady comes..Man...You'd think..I don't know what you'd think.LOL...Cause she never barks. All she does is lay around being lazy. She won't even flinch when the door bell rings. Or when strangers to her come in..What is it about the mail person then. She thinks my dog is mean. I think maybe I need to introduce them or something...Does anyone elses dog do that.

BTW shes a st. bernard

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pets

• LOL! My neighbor is a mailman. He says dogs just know the uniform. People always says their dog is great with anyone who comes to the door(police, UPS, etc) until the postman comes. Leave well enough alone. Dogs just have a thing about mailmen.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have the very same problem,I have a sheltie,and around 12:00,she will start barking,and does not stop,until the mail lady comes and is gone,but while she is in sight,Sophie goes wild,and nothing I have tried stops her.How that dog knows when it's time for her only God knows.My neighbors come out when they here her,cause they know the mail is here.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Dogs can hear when the mailman 's truck is way down the block! They know the sound.It's something that comes everyday! My dogs know when my husband is about to arrive...They all go to the door and wait ,long before the car arrives. Then again theres the sound the car makes. I tried taking the dog before the mail arrives to meet the truck. The moment it rounded the corner, he started barking. I gave the mail lady some dog treats and we meet her when we can and she gives out treats. Now the dog wags her tail at the door, cause she thinks she is getting treats. So no more barking, and I give the treats when we don't go to the mail box all the time.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That's hilarious! My dogs could care less about the mailman as long as he doesn't knock on the door. When someone knocks on the door they go bazerk!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I REALLY think dogs just don't like mailmen. I've seen tons of dogs that are very good dogs but go nuts when it comes to mailmen. I read in my training book when I was a dog trainer that dogs see mailmen as a challenge and a nuisance because they come so daringly close to the house, in other words, they infringe on the dogs territory. I'd say an introduction would be a good idea. Or maybe you could give the mail lady some treats to give your dog when she drops the mail off. That way, it'll teach your dog to expect something yummy when the mail comes and not an intrusion. She'll be happy to see the mail lady instead of barking.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• when i had my chiuhuahua i actully had to teach her how to bark. ex:i had my little sisters go out the door and know, then i would take her in my lap and start barking then went to the door and tapped it so she knew when to bark. well needless to say she barked within a week
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i dont have that proplem...sucks to ba ya`ll...wish i could help
    mykidsrawesomee

Answer by mykidsrawesomee at 6:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• LOL..My mail lady was thowing my dog treats today
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2008