any one have a child repeat kindergarten and still be behind in first?

My stepson (who moved with us in may) repeated kindergarten and started first grade this year, his first report card was horrible when it involved academics. He has an IEP for speech, we practice and try to help as much as we can. His math is at a 0.3 (3rd month of kindergarten) and reading is at 0.6 (middle of kindergarten) can he really be expected to make it to second grade in a traditional class room? he has no desire to read or learn, nothing works. He is moving back with his mother because his behavior is out of control only at home. i'm not sure what to do. at what point is it not the parents fault anymore, we try everything the teacher suggests, spend tons of money on books that he might like, nothing works, anyone else have a child going through this? It sound bad but- if there are children who randomly read at 2 and graduate highschool by 10, isn't there the other extreme: zero motivation?

lovemylilman06

Asked by lovemylilman06 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think he needs to be re-evaluated. He may have other learning disabilities you don't know about

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think he needs some serious support. He's 6 or 7 of course he doesn't care about reading or writing. One of his parents needs to care enough to spend time working on his academic skills with him, they don't just come naturally because he is at school. It also sounds like he is moving from school to school and house to house. He needs some structure and support if you want him to be successful.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Has he ever been tested for a learning disabilty? Holding him back will not cure a learning disability. I went through this with my son. Teachers wanted to keep holding him back and I was wondering how holding him back would cure an underlying problem. Schools are real tight on funds so you have to really fight to have the school psycologist test him. It takes awhile so start ASAP. It's not your fault by the way. Also, talk to his pediatrician maybe he has ADD. Good luck!
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It would help if he wasn't being tossed back and forh between two houses!!!! Take some responsibility!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like there is more to this than perhaps anyone is seeing. His lack of motivation is most likely due to a disability of some type.......learning, behavioral, visual, auditory.

I suggest all parents discuss what is best and get the child settled in one school and tested for a disability ASAP!

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• there is no need to be rude, and we didn't make the decision to send him back lightly his father is deploying for a year, when we brought him to our house we didn't know. He is not my biological child, his parents decided it was best for him to be with his mother while dad was gone. It is easy to criticize when you answer anonymously

lovemylilman06

Comment by lovemylilman06 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's not fair to say that about two households, anonymous. My stepdaughter lives half time with her mom and half time with us and she is doing well in school (grade one). Have two homes doesn't affect cognitive function - I really hope anonymous is just trolling and doesn't really hold that opinion.

I agree you should get your son assessed for a learning disability. That being said, some children are late bloomers and don't develop language skills until they are older. Does he enjoy other activities? Have you considered Waldorf schooling? They don't require reading until much later and are more focused on artistic and kinetic activities like painting and knitting.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 2:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Maybe he is depressed, but doesn't even know what that means, or how to express it. Maybe something as simple as laying in bed and reading him a book every single night would encourage his interest in reading. Maybe take turns and have him try to read one to you. Maybe it's something totally different, like he can't concentrate because he needs glasses, or has too much sugar in his diet. There could be so many reasons, on the different ends of the spectrum. The only way to get to the bottom of it is through trial and error on your own. I know everybody says take him to the Dr., get him evaluated, but the Dr. sees him once. You see him ALL the time! Too bad he is going to have a change of residence, it could add to him have a feeling of instability and uncertainty.
    tucson.mary

Answer by tucson.mary at 6:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i think that everyone together needs to reevaluate the situation (meaning his mom, his dad, and you...)... then decide what is best for him.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2010