kids closer or farther apart

I have three kids, 2 years apart each. Had you rather have them closer together or spread them out .

arenad

Asked by arenad at 12:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine are close, except the oldest, he's 5 years older than his next younger brother. Honestly, there are pros and cons to each, so I don't think about it much. The main con is that there is sooooo much more work when you have 2 toddlers running around, but then again, when they get to high school it will be graduated...graduated...graduated all within the span of 5 years for my last three. Then dh and I can have alot of time together again!
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've got both.  I have 5 kids.

There are 15 months and 13 months between the first 3.  Then there are 3 1/2 years and 4 years between the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

They are 10, 9, 8, 4 1/2 and 3 months.  I liked having the first 3 close together.  It was rough when the 4th one was born and the older kids were 3, 4 and 5.  Now having all them older with the baby has been pretty good.  They are all big enough to help with him.  The first 3 are really close, have all the same friends and do everything together.  The 4yo is kind of on her own and bored most of the time because the other 3 are in school and the baby is too little.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have 5 children. My first two are 22 months a part. Then my 3rd baby was born 11 months later and my fourth was born 11 months after that and my last was born 25 months later. I like the 2 year age gap over the 11 months.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Mine are 3 years and 4 months apart. If I had known about my sons developmental delays when I got PG I would have wanted them a little further apart. Like 4-5 years. But If I had waited we never would have had her because DH lost his job 6 months after she was born... So I guess I am happy with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had always planned to have my kids only about 2yrs apart.. Now my only child just turned 4 and we still dont have plans for the second child, so our son would be pretty much 5+ before the next baby comes along..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Mine are exactly 3 yrs apart and I love it. They are so great with each other. I love the fact that I was able to spend all the one on one time with my oldest up until age 3. Had they been 2 yrs apart it would've been tougher having a newborn baby along with a 2 yr old. At 3 he was more independent and willing to help out with his baby.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have both- my oldest and middle are2yrs 1wk apart and #3 came along years later. Mine are now 14, 12 and 4. I think space-wise everything worked out well for us.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think there are pros and cons to both.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have 3 kids, boy 11 girl 10 and a boy 4. I love the 1st two being close together. They are in school only 1 grade difference, which makes it nice because projects can be saved and redone with same basic information on it but their own work. (If that makes sense) But it is also hard, due to my son (11) is always picking on his sister. My daughter 10, is always picking on the 4 yr old So Yes there are pros and cons to both being apart and being together.
    krispy292

Answer by krispy292 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010