When will or when did you start your lo on juice?

Im wondering this because we were at the ER monday night and they told me to put him on juice cuz he wont drink much formula cuz of the meds they put him on. So i have been giving him apple juice; 100% kind that i get from wic. I have been filling the bottle to the 7 oz mark with water and then the rest with apple juice. He loves the juice and hasnt had any problems with it. Im wondering if its ok to keep giving him the juice once or twice a day. id hate to stop cuz he loves the juice. I forgot to mention he will be 5 months on the 3rd.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not give more than 4 oz juice a day. It isn't necessary, unless the doctor instructs it. Giving him to much juice once he is 'back to normal' may cause him to not get all of what he needs form his formula.

To answer my DD was 7 months before she got it and then it was every couple of days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You should not give more then 4oz a day like the first poster said. Also you want to make sure that your little one is still drinking the formula because that is where the nutrition is coming from. My son was 4 months the first time he had juice and that was because we were told to give it to him for constipation. So he did not get it often untill he was eating more solids. and even now we will still water it down.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i give my dd about 1-2 oz mixed with water a day she loves it! i started at 8 month old! i think its fine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 6 months. i mixed it w/ water tho
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't start a bad habit so young. No need to get kids hooked on drinking sugary beverages all the time.

Wait until he's drinking water really well from a sippy or regular glass, and really enjoying it (introduce water after you've started solids), and then offer juice only as an occasional treat. Many kids will refuse water if they are used to drinking juice and that can be a hard habit to break, so be proactive about it.

Sometimes as parents we have to limit things that our kids really might enjoy because it's in their best interest to do so. This is one of those cases... luckily, there's a really great alternative that you don't have to limit. Fruit is plenty sweet and offers all the benefits of juice PLUS fiber and beneficial enzymes (as long as it's fresh). He's almost old enough for solids, so he will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy all sorts of yummy fruits very soon!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Juice is liquid candy. My 13 month old has never had it and I'm planning not to give her any for at least 2 years hopefully more if i can keep others from sneaking it. The only time there is juice in the house is oj when i've got a cold.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I didn't give my kids juice until they were a year old, and then only from a cup diluted with water. My older ones will occasionally have a glass of juice with breakfast, my 2 year old has juice once or twice a week as a treat.

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• He isnt drinking much formula right now cuz they put him on amoxicilin and it makes him sick if he drinks formula with it. I am only giving him 100% apple juice, very watered down. He is already on solids and doing great with them. I am going to start trying a sippy cup today; my niece started at 4 months.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It doesn't matter if its 100%. Just four ounces of apple juice contains about 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar.
    If you must for the short term to get him to take his meds, but for long term don't use it. Too much water is also a concern at that age so be careful.

Too much sugar is linked to hyperactivity, obesity, and overall poor health.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If it's just short term for the medications, just do whatever amount they instruct you to do. Generally, you don't want to give more than 4 oz a day though. I only give my 2 year old approximately 2 oz of juice mixed with water and his liquid vitamin each day. He's good about eating fruit, so he really doesn't need the juice at all, but I need something slightly sweet to hide his vitamin in so he gets enough iron. I don't think I started giving him juice until somewhere around 8 or 9 months, if I remember correctly.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010