I am so scared that I am going to start going into labor and not notice...I know this doesnt happen often but I have read articles that say it does happen...

I dont know if I really have a question or anything I just wanted to voice my concern and maybe one of you guys will know what to say to make me feel a little better.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 12:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was worried about this, too. Of course, I ended up fully knowing I was in labour for 38 hours, so... Still, they tell you, "You'll absolutely know when you're ready to go to the hospital", and this is definitely true. I had been in labour for over 24 hours before I went to a scheduled doctor's appointment, and the doctor said I wasn't dilated at all! They sent me back home, saying they couldn't induce for another 3 days (because I wasn't yet at 41 weeks). I went home, and the next morning I couldn't go through a contraction without whimpering. It was definitely true: I knew it was time. So don't worry about it; you'll know it's time. And you'll probably wish you could have ignored it...!
    lyricsoprano90

Answer by lyricsoprano90 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• chances are... you'll know! Don't worry about it. I was worried about that to. In fact I denied being in labor until I had the bloody show and couldn't talk through my contractions! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I was so afraid of showing up at the hospital and being sent home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Would that be such a bad thing? LOL - but seriously, you don't want to rush to the hospital because if you get there & aren't progressing as fast as they want, then they start giving you interventions. I think it's better to let as much of it happen outside of the hospital as possible.

Are you worried about delivering the baby in a strange place? Babies are born healthy outside of hospitals all the time. Maybe it could ease your worries if you read up about home births so you feel prepared to deliver anywhere.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 1:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• So am I...I mean I think it sounds ridiculous when I say it but its true...and I just cant stop thinking about it.
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had my first contraction at 6 am and I knew what it was but kept saying to DH 'NO! don't call anyone it might not be!' lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Chances are that something will happen to make you notice. I was leaking fluid with my first, so we went to the hospital and they asked if I knew that I was in labor - uh, no. But the fluid leaking made me notice.

With my 2nd and 3rd I could tell when I was in early labor and stayed home until the contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and took my breath away. With the second one I was at home for almost too long. I was 8cm and they actually thanked me for showing up.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I promise you there will come a point in your labor that you will think "How did I ever think I would not know this is happening!?" LOL. But the early signs can be a little more subtle. Do a little reading or research so that you know what to watch for- diarrhea, cramping, back pain, etc. My early contractions felt like my DD was pressing up against the top of my uterus- they didn't hurt at all, it really just felt like she was pushing her way up to my chest. And if you end up making a trip to the hospital only to be sent home don't worry, you will not be the first or the last mom to do so. It will all go well and your body will surprise you with the things it tells you. Good luck and congratulations!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My OB said that you will know, I had the same fear and he always joked with me that I was going to wake up with my baby in bed with me, LOL he was such a funny guy!
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 8:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010