Tension Headaches

I have been suffering from constant tension headaches for 9 months. I have two children 3 and 1. I have tried ever OTC medicine there is for headaches and nothing touches it. My dr has done blood work and a MRI everything keeps coming back normal. He prescribed me Vicodin for the headaches since the other things he has prescibed didnt work. The vicodin worked for awhile and now doesn't seem to do much, plus i hate taking it around my kids. i'm tired of being in constant pain. I've tried going to a chiropractor and changing what i eat and drink and nothing is workin. What else is there to do? has anyone been threw this?

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Health

• I have had chronic tension headaches for 5 years. I've had the MRI, been to chiropractors, massage therapists and all that. Nothing worked. The only relief I have had is Topamax. I have been on daily Topamax 100mg for about a year and my headaches have all but disappeared. I also take Fioricet prn for the headaches i do get and that knocks them out almost immedietly, as otc meds do not even touch them. Topamax is a rx migraine prevention med but my dr. tried it and thank god it worked because i was at the end of my rope. My headaches would last a week at a time.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i have these on top of a brain tumor. The best thing I've found for tension is to use Ice packs anywhere on your head that is aching- I've actually used up to 5 to stop it. I am on a med to stop the migraines (don't work) but am hoping for a miracle. there is also one of those ice/blue rubs that you can put on for the immediate relief-just can't get in eyes. it's very frustrating and I hope you find help for yours soon. God bless!
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Opiates always make my headaches worse. Has your doctor prescribed Fiorinal or Fioricet? Those seriously will knock a headache out within 30 minutes. Those are the only meds that work for mine. Excedrin makes me too jittery, tylenol and motrin might work, but in all the years Fioricet has worked the best.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yea my dr has prescribed me Floricet that worked for a couple months and then didnt touch anything when i would take it.
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I also agree with the ice packs. and the rubs. I have used both. I have a blue cold pack i keep in my freezer that really relieves the pain on contact so a lot of the time while i'm sitting watching tv i'll have it laying on my head, and it's pretty long so i can wrap it to where ever it's hurting. I also have this roll on hot/cold stuff called Stop Pain. I originally bought it for the pain in my neck and shoulders that comes with the headaces at times but got the idea once after seeing a head-on commercial to roll it on my forhead and temples. And it actually did help. Just keep it away from your eyes. Just don't use them both at the same time!! But the cold pack works the best if you are at home and can lay and rest with it on your head.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010