Anxiety disorder worse in morning

I suffer from an anxiety disorder. All week I've noticed that I've been having anxiety attacks every morning but as the day moves on I feel better. Has anyone else ever dealt with this and if so do you have any tips to help me make it through the mornings?

mrswright1170

Asked by mrswright1170 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Health

• I had the same thing but mine was worse in the afternoon. I dealt with it for 6ms and nothing helped. I had to go on Zoloft and I love it. I can do anything now and no longer get attacks. The best way to TRY to get rid of them would just be to breathe and tell yourself its all in your head. That worked in the beginning for me and then got worse.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Are you on medication for your anxiety? It could be the timing of the meds, if so. I had similar problems about 10 years ago. We not only had to switch meds a few different times, we also had to work on the timing so that I could avoid side effects while still getting the benefit of the medication.

When you get up in the morning, spend a few extra moments in bed and contemplate a calm scene in your mind. Breathe deeply and focus on one part of your body, such as your stomach, the way it moves with each breath. By taking the focus off your worries and putting it on something specific you can maybe avoid a full blown attack.

cont...
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• If this continues, see your doctor. If you're not already on meds, have an open mind about trying them. There is no shame in it, and it can be a great help. I wouldn't be driving today if it weren't for Paxil. If you are on meds, don't adjust your dosage or stop taking them without talking to a doctor either. When I felt better, I stopped taking Paxil cold turkey. Bad idea. For the next 3 months, I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown. I would feel these electric jolts randomly throughout the day in my brain (which I later learned were misfires of the synapses). I would cry uncontrollably over something as simple as a song or commercial. I would have to write down who I was calling, or I'd forget by the time they said hello. It went away (Thank goodness!!) but it was hell while it lasted. Check with your doctor before making any changes.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2008