I babysit to afford living arrangments. I currently watch two children plus my own. the mothers of the two a constanly trying to bring down what they pay me without my full permission, If I try to bring to their attention I'm not making enough for rent because they are unde paying me. They say i'm being greedy. hat do I do?

Ganell87

Asked by Ganell87 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• may hve missed a few letters just try to figure ot what it says.
    Ganell87

Comment by Ganell87 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Find some different kids to watch if possible. People who cheap out and try to beat up childcare providers on their rates are foolish and annoying. If you're providing decent service to them and they refuse to pay you a fair going rate, then kick them to the curb and let them see what else they can come up with.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Get some prices from local day-care centers. I guarantee you are less expensive than any of them. Plus, most of those places expect you to pay whether their child is there or not. I say you make up a contract for your parents to sign w/ an agreed upon price. If they dont want to sign it or pay you for your time, then let them go elsewhere. Dont let them take advantage of you. I'm sure if you spread the word thru your church or thru friends/family, you can get others who will be grateful for good day care & will pay you what is fair & agreed upon. (Tell the deadbeat parents that what they are trying to do to you is like their employer shorting them on their paychecks!) Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I watch a little girl, When i first started watching her, i made a contract saying this is how much I will be paid everyday/or weekley how ever you want it. I would make a contract saying this is what they will pay you
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• But shouldn't i wait til some other children are available? It's my only job right now. And i provide Beakfast,Lunch and Snack under my own expense, they're not supplying any food, They don't seem to understand what they're paying is buying food too, if they lower the price then what can i feed our children, I feel I'm generous. I only charge 70 a week.
    Ganell87

Comment by Ganell87 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree a contract is the way to go if they don't sign it then say sorry can't watch your children. you could also have like a sign in pick up sheet where the times are put in and they sign it
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 1:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 70 a week is way cheap for around here, it could be double or even triple that depending on where you go! Honestly they arent going to get a better deal and I am sure they know that, make them sign a contract.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Write a contract and keep records. Get a receipt book and give them receipts, with the hours and the rate listed. Start giving them bills a day or two before the day they usually pay you, with a list of the hours you worked and your rate, and the total at the bottom (or your weekly rate or whatever - just include the dates it covers). Stand firm on your rates - don't make it an emotional discussion or even a debate - just say "I charge X, that's my rate." Leave it implicit that if they don't or can't pay that, they need to find someone else. If they say "But I'm not making as much at work now" or "I just can't afford that," don't even answer those concerns - just repeat "My rate is X." Leave the ball in their court.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No FULL PAY, No Kids STAY! Find new kids and make it clear up front that if payment is not made in full before service is rendered the children cannot stay. THat is how it is at my sitters
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My mom says one of them is taking super advantage of me cause she leaves fr work at 7;30am and doesnt come back til 6:30pm. I would like to work from 7:30am-5:30pm
    Ganell87

Comment by Ganell87 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010