Christmas Gifts

With the way the economy is do you buy for everybody in your family? I have a sister who has 3 children of her own plus 4 step kids. Would you buy for the step kids or just her children? I feel this year we may only buy for her kids cause they only have the other kids certain times and last year what we bought for them they fought over the gifts and broke them anyway.

becbec71705

Asked by becbec71705 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Nooooo. This year I plan to only buy for my baby nephew. He is my one and only nephew thank goodness. I won't even be buying for my parents or anybody else except my own kids/hubby.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you are going to buy for all, i wouldnt buy at all. Its not fair to the step kids and they will feel left out. I would buy something big for the WHOLE family like a blue ray DVD player or something. That way you get them all something :) Best of luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't think it would be fair to not include the other children. Perhaps you can get ONE family gift for all the children to use. For example, you can look on craigslist for a used but working small air hockey table
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• With DH out of work, we're only buying for our son, our youngest nephew, our grand-nephew and for my grand-niece that's due in January (more like an early "birthday" present I guess, LOL). We can't afford to get for anybody else. As it is, aside from our son, they will all probably only get one gift each. Money is just too tight right now.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I buy for all the kids and the adults choose names and there is a price limit. If the step kids are going to be there I would buy for them; otherwise, don't worry about it.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think you have to buy for all the kids. How can you exclude kids that you bought for last year?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We haven't bought for anyone other than just our daughter since we got her in 1996. My family doesn't celebrate (at least not with us) and DH's family don't have small kids (youngest is 18), so not really a big deal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think we have decided this year to just buy for the kids, and I am making my mom and dad, and my MIL a wall calendar or desk calendar with photos of the kids. Right now, there's a website I think it's vistaprint that has a deal on their calendars, you can get one for free (just the cost of shipping) or buy 3 for the price of one ($15 plus shipping). I think that's a great deal! And we are taking our own photos this year and having Christmas cards printed through an online service also, which the family will love getting since we live so far away they never get to see the kids.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My immediate family has six people. My parents, my three sisters, and myself. My three sisters and I are married, one of my sisters has a daughter. Since there are soo many of us in our little group we choose names. Everyone has free reign over buying for the kids, but generally the parents only buy for their own kids. Then my mom and I sit down every year and we divy up what couple gets what couple. This year my parents have my little sister and her husband, I have my parents, etc. We're lucky to have an even number of couples. We have a 100 dollar limit to buy. We either buy one gift for the couple or a bunch of small gifts for the individuals. That's how we save money every Christmas. HOWEVER, DH's family (Which consists of six people) we buy for everyone, so that can get pretty tricky. I might try implementing the choosing names dealio into that clan too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My suggestion to you is to buy for those who will be at your location (wherever you celebrate) on Christmas Day. If her step-kids aren't going to be there on Christmas, then they don't need to have gifts purchased for them. Just buy for those that are going to be there to celebrate with you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010