At what age is your child too old to tell him/her what to do????

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• well you put this in the 18+ catergory and thats what I would say. However if they still lived in my house they would have to obey certain rules, epsecially if they didnt have a job or werent going to college.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• when they start ACTing like an adult and are out of your house..
    However, I still listen to my mom at 32 if its in my best interest or something I ask her help on
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When they no longer live under your roof or depend on you financly.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When he became a legal adult and no longer lived in my home.

He is his own man. He must live his own life. He's choices are his and his alone to make. The reprecussions/consequences (for good or ill) of those choices are his to deal with.

It is no longer my place to tell him what to od.. And what he does is no longer my business (unless of course he invites me into that business.. lol).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• After they graduate hs. Of course if you are footing the bill for college, there would be some rules put into place.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• After college and when they get their own life together.

Answer by older at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• To a degree, when they turn 18. They are adults then and they are going to make their own decisions. However, if they are still living at home, I think it is fine for mom and dad to still set house rules under their roof. But when they are adults living in your home, I don't think you can try to control behavior that happens outside your house any more.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If they are living in your house they have to abide by your rules, no matter if they are older than 18 or not. If they are in college and you are literally paying for EVERYTHING they need to also abide y your rules then. If they can't get their act together, take things away that you provide/pay for. Like a cell phone. First off, if they are in college there is no reason they can't have a job. I went to school full time, as in 15 credits which is 5 classes, each semester and worked 20-25 hours a week. I went to college where I was from, but lived out of my parents house (they were a half hour away). So when holidays and weekends came I always worked. Off semester when all other students were gone I was pulling in 40 hour weeks. Gotta make them grow up some time. Working these jobs paid for the things my parents wouldn't, car payment, car insurance, gas, cell phone half way through college, you get the point.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 58? LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• depends on what you are talking about. Over 18 they can make all their own decisions legally so all you can really do is give them advice or your opinion but if it has to do with the way they speak or treat you I would say you have every right to tell them how they will treat you. My dd and I get along great, she's 21, but I still at times take that "mom" tone with her if I feel like she is speaking to me out of line. And just like someone else said if they are still living in your home my opinion is "my house my rules"
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010