What are you doing about your overweight child?

A recent study shows that when it comes to weight - a lot of parents don't realize their children have a problem.
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/health/Health-Watch%3A-Overweight-Children-20101026-am-sd

Parents living in Denial? Are over weight children the parents fault?
Childhood Obesity is at epidemic proportions having more than tripled in the past 30 years.
http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/obesity/

Do you feel parents who have overweight children are neglecting the health of their children?

The percentage of overweight children in the United States is growing at an alarming rate, with 1 out of 3 kids now considered overweight or obese.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/overweight_obesity.html

Is it suppose to take the Government to fix this parental neglect problem?

myame

Asked by myame at 1:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Parent neglect problem, IMHO. DD is 4 and is not overweight, but if she were to start becoming overweight, we would severely cut back on anything that wasn't considered healthy
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My children are not even near overweight. I care too much about their health and their future to feed them CRAP or allow them to go even a day without some sort of physical activity... We care about our bodies as a family.. Lead by example... Parental neglect and lacking responsibility is the problem, imo..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My kids are in the 50th percentile, except for the fifteen month old, who, breast fed, hit 115%, and now is 90, and is trending downward now. (this is normal for breastfed babies.)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Is it suppose to take the Government to fix this parental neglect problem?

Some would rather have the government step in than enforce parental accountaiblity....   However, when the government steps, it takes the responsibility for the parent to EDUCATE themselves off the parents shoulders....  government feeds the problem... They aren't solving it..JMO...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Fortunately my kids have never been overweight. But if they were, I would put them in sports, monitor what they eat and drink. My kids don't get sodas unless they are at a party. And I try to feed them healthy foods. We splurge sometimes, but for the most part we try to be good about what we eat. They VERY rarely get candy. Both of my kids have played year-round sports since age 4.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 1:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Nothing. If anything, at least two of my kids are underweight. My oldest is 5'5.5 and 95lbs...

We don't need the government to fix anything. They'll just throw money they don't have at the problem and end up making it worse. If parents are too lazy to take their kids out to play, or to cook decent meals I just don't know what can be done. And some parents need to slow down and spend more time with their kids. They need to spend more time making healthy meals and less time running them around to activities. Seriously, how is it doing any good for your kid to be in 5 different sports, if he/she eats McD's for dinner every night because they have practice and you don't have time to cook? Exercise is good, sports are good, being overly competitive and stressing yourself and your kids out... not so good, imo.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My children and their health are not the government's business. That's my business, and when necessary, their doctor's business. We don't need the government's new-and-improved version of the food pyramid to tell us how to feed our kids. And we don't need them to tell us that our kids need exercise. We do need them out of our schools so that our schools can re-implement longer recess time and daily PE again. We all need access to healthful foods at reasonable prices.

My kids, my call. The government needs to back away from my kids.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we are not overweight=our children are not overweight
    why? because we really live a very simple life, 90% of our food is made at home from scratch and yes, I sometimes even grind my own whole grain. It saves alot of money and calories, there is no extra fat, sodium, sugars, preservatives, chemicals and all that other crap. When I make pot roast the ingredient list is meat, water, vegetables. No room for government in the crock pot.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Lovin, not my son! lol...

Breastfed and was always on the LOWER end! ...But he EATS like a grown man since 10 months old....He is finally , at age 5, in the 45th percentile...That boy is just a slim jim

They told my cousin her son was overweight.......he was in no way overweight and VERY active!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is definitely an overlooked form of irresponsible parenting in my opinion when we watch a neighborhood child's obesity go up and up over the years. Eventually they are too heavy to even play with the other children or do the sports they used to love. It's really sad to watch happen. And it's in the way the parents feed them and themselves.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010